Street Portrait

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by daveg, Oct 11, 2017.

1. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    600_0260-1.

D600 - 70-300mm @ 300mm; 1/500 @ f6.3; ISO 360

• Like Like x 1
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    Excellent image and great B&W image! Really well done! My only tiny nit is that the white line at the bottom of his right sunglass lens is very distracting.

3. very nice image.
    note that, imo, his forehead,ear and bridge of his not are conspicuously brighter than the rest of his face.

upload_2017-10-11_11-57-27.

4. I really like informal portraits and candids and this is a good example of why: nice diagonal, great reflection in the sunglasses, and the upward look of the man's face. I would eliminate the reflection of the road's middle line but nothing else.

5. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Very good image. I like the way he stands and the reflections in the sunglasses . I agree with the comments above about the distracting road line.

6. I like this image. Good tonal range, excellent composition, reflection in sunglasses and voila, you have a photograph. Fixing the line in the glasses is a minor nit that can be fixed in seconds.

7. Love the image and the range of tones. Reflection in his glasses is fabulous catch as is his smile---what can he be looking at!

8. Perhaps the pertinent question is, "What's her name?" :)

9. Very likely . . . :joyful:

10. daveg

daveg

Jul 14, 2008
    UK
    Thanks everyone - I have tried to address all of your comments; the reflection is of the "Castle" in Hay on Wye:

600_0260-2.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Walter

Walter

Jan 13, 2006
    Columbia, Maryland
    Walter Rowe
    I would only have fixed the line in the glasses. The lighter tones of the forehead, nose and ear are part of the natural, directional light of the setting. They portray the real scene as it was. We strive to create these transitions between highlights and shadows in studio and on location using artificial light to add definition and dimension. Why then remove it when it presents itself naturally?

Good job on the original post.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    IMO removing the road line worked fine, but I completely agree with Walter about the tones on the forehead,nose and ear. I wouldn't change them as they add to the image without distracting at all.

13. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    An excellent casual portrait, Dave!
    As this is street portrait, I would keep the corrections to removing the reflected white line as well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I love the smile, tilt of the head, wonderful portrait. I agree about the line. Much cleaner without!