Street Preachers On New Year's Eve

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Removed User 1, Jan 2, 2006.

1. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

2. Me thinks these people have found a stage to perform on and are making the most of it. What a waste.

3. You know, this is my first visit to Nikon Cafe and found out about it from DPreview and was relieved that another Nikon forum exists and could not wait to start posting, but the comments in this thread are rather unfortunate. "What a waste?" You know everyone has an agenda on how they want to live their lives and this begs the question, who is right and is the way you live YOUR life the standard everyone else should live? Looking at the number of posts you have Gordon some may say that you spend alot of time on this forum, and "what a waste."

These people obviously feel convicted and led to bring this message out to the streets. If they are wrong for doing this, then again what is the standard for right and wrong? Only the moment after your last breath will you find this out. So hope you are right.

By the way Dean, I enjoyed viewing your galleries.
    Kevin

4. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    My singular comment is....

At least for those of us that live in the united states of america, let's all remember that as photographers, we need the first ammendment to stand strong and vital far more than most.

Expression is everyone's right in the united states, I for one, hope it stays just that way. :eek:

5. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    No offence Kevin but maybe you should read the other threads where Dean tells us how these people hurl abuse at inoccent passers by and accuse them of being hookers for the way they dress and basically tell people that their lives are one big sin as they "dare" to enjoy themselves!

If these people truly understood this then I am sure Gordon's "What a waste" comment would not leave them too upset.
    The whole point is these people believe that their way is the only way, when they decided they were "better, cleaner, or less sinfull" than the rest of us I am sorry but they left themselves open to fire.
    If you cannot see that then maybe they have an opening in there organisation you could fill!

6. Well Kevin.... coming from DPR you will be well aware that one of the big issues on that site is the stupid (personal) attacks that go on. But yet I see you heading down that road with your very first post.

I must tell you that attacking another poster on this site will find you out in the wilderness faster than you could ever image.

Just thought I would let you know

7. Oh Sorry.....

I forgot to tell you Dean that i've very much enjoyed this series of images. coming from a small twon I don't get to see this type of thing is REAL LIFE.

Well done Dean

8. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    OOOPPPSS Me too Dean, forgot to say I love this series of images, I am always waiting for the next installment!

9. I don't have a problem with how these street preachers look. I understand that Jesus didn't look like the 'finest' either. The photos are great and show people with a zeal for their beliefs, which offer at least a hope for salvation. This is something that the finest Nikon equipment and the finest photographs cannot offer. I just hope they were not mean spirited or trying to brow beat folks. Thats wrong and also ineffective. At least they have given us something to think about through Dean's photographs.

10. I suppose what you said is exactly what I was trying to say Muril. Wasnt taken that way though. No way as an attack or intent of attack.

A photo has many stories to tell. Each viewer takes in what they see and some lean one way while others lean another way. In this case, I feel led to defend my faith because many look down upon street preachers, doomsday sayers and so forth and make judgements or bias comments with no regard to what actually happened.

Again Dean, great photos you take. So much added than just a mere image.

Kevin

11. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005

12. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    Dean's series has been extremely thought provoking for many of us in this forum, and - as in any random collection of folk - you will see many sides of a discussion. This forum has managed thus far to avoid direct personal attack, and I for one hope that this never happens here. You should see what goes on in the political fora (check out the NY Times forum). Dean has shown us, very clearly, the aggression that can overtake the zeal in some of these preachers, and the hostile reactions that this approach can create. What we have here is good, street level photojournalism and we should all thank Dean for showing this aspect of life, and contribute our personal reactions as well, without fear of personal attack - disagreement yes, vituperative prose no. My little 2 cents' worth.

13. Thanks Patrick and to the rest of those who posted to keep the peace. As photographers we do have to place ourselves away from the subject and I try to do that for any group I cover. We are living in an age where people are more willing to take to the streets in support of whatever their cause is and we should look at it as a photo-opp.

This Saturday will be different. There is going to be a large protest against the current Supreme Court nominee and the street preachers have a permit to counter protest. Bottom line is I will see lots of people I know and have photographed on opposite sides of the yellow tape.

This is the main group that will be there.
    http://www.pbase.com/lautermilch/abort

As a photographer, I am not involved in the issues. Rather, I am thinking that I will get a chance to redo do this one shot of such pretty eyes. Just like a doctor putting on a white coat and become as emotional as Mr. Spock, when the Nikon colors are flying around my neck I have to be distant from the issues.

14. Wilk

Wilk

Jul 28, 2005
    here here!

15. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005