Strobe practice

Discussion in 'People' started by Beezle, Dec 28, 2005.

1. I wouldn't normally show these, but I had enough fun this evening practicing with my current default model, I though I'd share some of them.

I am trying out my first proper strobe - an Elinchrom with a Chimera softbox. I am starting out low key, one strobe and one reflector just to get a feel for it.

And of course Mr. Ham himself provides lots of faces to point the D2X and 17-55 at. WB is all auto, no adjustments other than exposure, which I did not nail.

Yeah, I know, dark pajamas and low key, etc. :rolleyes: Comments welcome anyway.

gabriel-elinchrom-1. gabriel-elinchrom-2.
    gabriel-elinchrom-3. gabriel-elinchrom-4.
    gabriel-elinchrom-5.

2. What a cutie!! Nice Pictures!

3. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

Nice start... Someday I would like to set up a home studio....

4. RForshey

RForshey Guest

The shots just need to be "warmed" up a little bit.. I took the liberty of playing with this a little..

[​IMG]

5. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Couple of things i see here

1) I would definetly dial it down a little.
    2) try feathering you light across him and move your reflector a little farther away.
    3) try moving your light a little closer to the subject

6. Will do. Thanks for the tips. The largest reflector I have is only 32", but I'll try moving it. I also have two other softboxes, and planned on trying a light above and a fill light vs. the reflector. I'll try to even out the light a bit that way as well.

Distance to the light wise, it is pretty close. A medium sized Chimera softbox about 2.5 ~ 3 feet away. I do have both baffles in it.

Exposure wise, I used a meter which wanted about 5.9 so I called it 8. I then pushed the contrast and brightness up a bit as I prefer more contrast. I'll try smoothing it out a bit next time. I also will try either differnt clothing colors or a different background. I do not have a taste for standard muslim/velvet/whatever photographic backgrounds.

Color wise, I'd say I prefer what you did, RF. But the color above is a little more accurate. His skin has a bit of color to it, maybe somewhere between the two.

7. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

8. The D2X thought ~4K was about right. Color looks pretty good around 4500, but by 5000 it is obviously too warm.

Then I just shot a grey card and that is running 4450 +5 (ACR).

I guess the Chimera colors the light a wee bit.

I do want to learn all of the standard portrait sorts of things, but only to the degree that I can get control over it. My worst problem is I head right off into "what I want" without enough of a grip on how to make that happen.

Sure is fun figuring it all out though. :biggrin:

PS, is there any way to see what the WB is in NC? I've complained to the actual engineer that they need to rework their WB UI a bit so what one always knows where they stand.

9. Your photo's are very fun to look at. And the posted warmed up photo is to warm. And is unnatural. Like you said yourself alittle bit warmer is ok but to warm is not good.

So i think your attempt is almost spot on. But overal real good job and very fun to look at. So keep on posting these kind of work of yours.

Thanks for sharing.

10. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I don't know from studio :>))

However I can say I love the images alot and you model is adorable as usual. He poses great for you.

Keep them coming.....

I will enjoy looking and the experts can teach :>))))))))

11. Johntu

Johntu

Jul 4, 2005
    Fremont, CA
    Very nice shots, I like them all

12. Thanks for the comments.

Here is one from today. I used a grey card set WB, and it is a bit warmer and I think nicer. Lighting wise, this is an almost good example of the lighting I have in my head.

The light on the dark side of his face is a wee bit too dark, but I like the deep shadows on his clothing. Not quite getting the skin tones I would like. Seems like they were easier with the D70 and are with the 5D. I think I am a candidate for whatever DSLR Fuji comes up with next.

[​IMG]

13. This one is the 85 1.4 doing its thing. Used a softlighter and a SB800 to fill in.

Now if he just had a top to his head...

Note the nearly sour demeanor. He's been sick most of this week and this WAS supposed to mostly be our riding trains and having fun together, so he is grumpy. I'll take some time next week to make up for it.

[​IMG]

14. Really like these last two shots. Well done.

15. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I Like the last photo, now get that kid on a train.

16. Absolutely adorable, as Ron said get the poor child on the train :rolleyes: you have many more years you need him for your model...........I liked all the sets, lighting will not always be perfect and I find it a very personal thing. The compositions is what I luv most about these portraits, very well done and you should be proud of this!

i just purchased some AB's, I hope I have half the success you are :biggrin:
    Dont mind me asking, how do you set WB with strobes, take a pic, set WB then batch the remainder of the pics?

17. Thanks for the compliments.

For the second session I used the preset functionality on the D2X. That is, set WB to "pre," then hold down the WB button until the camera sets up for the WB shot. Then shoot a grey card filling the frame in the same light. On the D2X you can have several of these WB settings.

Benjamin (kid #2) will be on some antique trolleys in San Francisco tomorrow. We have ridden all of them several times.

ben-trolley-window.