Strobist 102 Exercise

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by MurphyD, Jul 7, 2007.

1. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Well, it was raining in Texas again (still, forever). I heard this is the 41st day in a row. So I did the Strobist exercise in 102. Did it once using a varying shutter, then with a varying aperture. It was still raining so I did it a third time with a diffuser on the strobe.
    Here is a throwaway pic showing the dark background, the strobe very close and stopped down. This is the object of the exercise.
    [​IMG]

Then I decided to put what I learned to use.
    Strobe close for a darker background
    Diffuser for softer shadows.
    Strobe underneath with snood directed up into the vase from the bottom.
    Not a particularly inspiring photo, but it's way cool controlling two strobes in a dark room to create the effect you want.
    David
    p160348917-5.

2. Nice demonstration of control, David. I think you get an A on this assignment.

3. You sure you want to throw away the first shot ?!

I think you should toss the second shot.

4. MurphyD

MurphyD

Jan 17, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks Frank. How do you paste Gold Stars?

Paul, I too like the lighting in the first. But the construction vacuum in the background and the incorrect color balance and cutting off the bottom of the vase makes it a throwaway. The key now is that I can create either when I want. Thanks for your input.
    David