Strobist: B&G outdoor test shots

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, May 29, 2007.

1. Mike and Jeannie will marry in September, and I booked their wedding today. After the business arrangements were completed, they agreed they could spare a few minutes for a couple of test shots. So I scanned the parking lot as we left the restaurant, and located a shady patch backed by greenery.

Now that I'm a Strobist follower, I always have a light stand in the trunk of my car, so I set it up, put an sb800 (in remote mode) on it, raised it to 7 feet, and aimed it at the subjects from 6 feet away, 45 degrees to the left of the line between camera and subjects.

I used the flash as my main light, and took a stab at the power needed, guessing at 1/4 full power. Then I set up to use the ambient sunlight as fill, by adjusting the aperture/shutter/iso combo to underexpose the scene by -2ev.

After a test shot confirmed the arrangement was satisfactory, I was good to go and put all of my focus on working with the couple instead of the gear.

Here are some results from my impromptu 10 minute outdoor studio shoot.

View attachment 98211

View attachment 98212

2. Hi Uncle Frank!

Dang, that guy looks like a well-groomed version of my old roommate!

What's B&G? And why do you prefer to shoot at manual if the TTL can do it, is it more reliable? (I find it finicky at times but figure that's operator error?)

3. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Bride and Groom...only after reading the post did I understand what uf was saying Jeff

4. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Nice photos Frank...the expressions, especially her smile are terrific.

As for the lighting, you say it was a "shady spot" but it looks to be direct sunlight...which usually isn't great, unless very early morning or very late afternoon. You'll have an easier time and much better lighting in true open shade; beside a building, under a tree, whatever. If the background isn't great, no problem...toss on your 180mm or 200mm and throw it OOF. (I often use my 300 2.8 for portraits) Place your umbrella 2-3 feet away and you'll be in business.

5. LOL...I was thinking boy and girl :eek: