Strobist: Be Prepared

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I have a lightstand and an umbrella in the trunk of my car, which means I'm prepared for just about anything.

I was at the gym today, and the manager asked me if I could take a bio picture for a new trainer. I was travelling light, with my d70, 35/2, and sb800, but it was all I needed to take strobist-style shots of the trainer on her new bike. I used the d70's internal flash as the commander.

View attachment 99238

View attachment 99239

The only problem I encountered was trying to remember the channel and group the d70 uses (3 and A). Rather than try all possible combinations, I just put the sb800 in su4 mode and set it for 1/2 power.

2. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Frank, are you an eagle scout?
    Nice shots

3. I take it the sun was the main light source located to her right (left on image) and the the fill was to her left at about 45 degrees?

Night bio pics BTY.

4. Thanks, Brian and Fred!

I posed the subject in open shade, which was my fill. The main light was the flash, positioned on a lightstand at about 6 feet up, at frame left.

5. Dang I wasn't even close :frown:

6. Very nice Frank, you did a great job on this.

7. Nuteshack

Nuteshack Guest

nice work Frank ....i use su4 mode for all my off camera flash work...i do plan on getting one of those radio control pocket wizzards wana b set ups, but for now this works just fine ...;-)

8. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    Nice Frank. You obviously didn't zap / darken the ambient like these guys do. most of the strobist shots outdoor always appear like they are at dusk or even at night.

Neil Turner of dg28.com was writing in one his technique sections that the shot must be made to look like it has been totally lit by artificial light.

I wonder why this is the case.

9. It isn't the case for me. I prefer the flash illumination to be effective but inconspicuous. I try for a 2:1 ratio between the main and the fill, but that doesn't mean the background has to look like night. Here's an example where I balanced the light just right for my tastebuds.

10. Dayo

Dayo

May 1, 2006
    Bahrain
    I have a feeling that the "remove every trace of ambient" may date shots just as people talk abut the "gel to the nines" look of 1980's shots.

Perhaps that's what the pic editors in the papers are asking for.