1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Strobist: Before and After

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, May 21, 2007.

1. I'm a recent convert to off-camera flash. The process began when I started reading The Strobist,

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/02/welcome-to-strobist.html

... and accelerated as I started using a newly acquired su800 to trigger multiple off-camera flashes reliably. But even though I've experimented with pseudo studio portrait lighting, my emphasis remains on mobile rigs for event photography. So on Saturday night I used a single sb800 fired through a small 32" umbrella, for illuminating the latest chapter in "Poker Faces".

This example will explain why I find off-camera flash so intriguing. Here's a shot I took of Fast Eddie a few weeks ago. The sb800, mounted in the camera's hotshoe, was shot in bounce mode, using a large bounce card to direct some of the light directly at the subject.

78379467.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

I was pretty happy with the result, and didn't realize how "flat" the rendering was until I saw the off-camera version.

View attachment 96792

Just for fun, here's a mix of on-camera flash and off-camera flash pictures I've taken on poker night. Can you pick out the Strobist-style pictures?

View attachment 96793

View attachment 96794

View attachment 96795

View attachment 96796

View attachment 96797

View attachment 96798

2. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    3, 4, 6?

3. Good try, but no cigar. Only 1 out of 3.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2007
  4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    I can say #3 with good certainty... you can tell from the catchlight in the eyes, but I'm not sure about the other ones. They look like they could all have been done with on-camera flash!

5. Good call on #3, Taylor.

Sorry, Gordon, but 2 out of 3 is pretty good :biggrin:.

I made it hard by using the best of the bounce card captures.

6. Thanks for playing. The off-camera flash shots are numbers 2, 3, and 6. I think they all display more 3D feeling than 1, 4, and 5, but other identifiers are the locations/sizes of catchlights, and the location of shadows behind the subjects. Just one more example to finish off this thread. Alex won the championship at Saturday's tournament, so I put together a montage, which will hang at the tourney site (restaurant) for the next 2 weeks to celebrate his victory.

79232119.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

7. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Interesting montage, different expressions (and hair length) on each pic :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.