Strobist: creative lighting

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Dave's on-assigment series is my favorite section of the Strobist blog. I love the creativity he puts into every setup. The "conference room quickie" demonstrates the clever ways he thinks through an assignment.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/04/on-assignment-conference-room-quickie.html

Have you noticed that when Dave uses two strobes, he generally places one of them behind the subject as a kicker (or rim light, or whatever you call it)? I haven't tried it, but it seem to make for dramatic renderings.

2. I really enjoy his writing. It is actually suspenseful and always amazing to see how he pulls it off. Absolutely instructive too. Amazing how naturally it all comes to him. He also makes it seem really fun and inviting just to get out there and practice.

I like the backlit (kicker or whatever) effect. It seems to add another dimension to the photo, like surround-sound with light.

3. Daniel Bates

Daniel Bates

Jan 9, 2007
    The rim light is great for background separation - I often use ambient for that purpose.

Strobist has a lot of very good information.