Strobist: cyclist portrait

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jun 6, 2007.

1. I used a cyclist theme, since that's Kim's favorite form of exercise. The sun was blistering bright, but I used the gym building as my gobo, and the resulting open shade as my fill. The main was an sb800 on a stand at camera left. I positioned the flash at 7 feet high, and fired into into a white 45" umbrella. The trigger was my trusty su800.

View attachment 99348

View attachment 99349

Note: the wind was very gusty, but my tent spike/bungee cord technique worked a charm, and the lightstand was as stable as a rock!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 6, 2007
  2. sharkync

sharkync Guest

Very Nice Shots & A Question

Frank - good job! I was wondering what your camera's meter indicated as the proper f stop and shutter speed for the available light. As you used your flash as the main light (adding light), how did that affect your settings?

3. The meter doesn't give me a shutter and aperture setting. I choose an aperture and shutter, and the meter tells me if the shot is overexposed, properly exposed, or under exposed... and by how much. I chose an aperture and shutter combination that underexposed the ambient by 2 stops.

The flash had no impact on the background, or on the side of the model's face that was hidden from it.

4. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Frank the light is nice, but I find the tack sharp bushes in the BG very distracting. I think if you'd have moved her out from the BG and used a longer lens, they'd be much better.

5. I agree. The background is marginal at best... at least in the web version. Fortunately, it's much better in print. The lens was long enough, but the shade only extended a few feet in front of the background at that time of the day... and it was the only time of the day that Kim and I both had available.