1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Strobist: faster sync speeds

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, May 28, 2007.

1. There's a new blog piece on the Strobist site, about how to get faster sync speeds from your flash. That's not an issue for those of us shooting newer cameras with SB800/600s, because we have FP mode. But even so, his discussion of the value of fast sync speeds makes for a worthwhile read.

http://www.strobist.blogspot.com/

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for posting the link Frank, I just printed it and it will make for some great reading tomorrow.

3. The fast sync speed is one of the things I liked a lot with my D1x (1/500).
    But the evolution of FP mode has made sync speed concerns a thing of the past (if you have the equipment of course).
    One must be sure to program the camera to take advantage of it by default though.

4. If you have a D50 or D70, you can always tape the bottom 2 pins of the Flash contacts (on the SB600 and SB800) and Fire the flash with sync's up to 1/8000
    You lose a bit of flash power (much like FP) But you also get a single flash fire, So you don't get some of the drawbacks of FP mode (Aka for hummingbirds and stuff)

5. But how does that work for off camera flash?

6. Hi UF !<br />Thanks for these explanations... that "Strobist" site seems to be full of goodies ! Now, how about the D200 and FP ? I didn't find where to set it... (i still use an SB80-DX, BTW)<br />Cheers,<br />J-P.

7. I don't know if the sb80 supports fp mode, but you'll find out soon enough. Here's how you set it:

Menu
    Custom Setting Menu
    (e) Bracketing/Flash
    (e1) Flash Sync Speed
    select 1/250s (Auto FP)

8. I just went thru this myself. The D200 w/sb80-dx will not do FP, so I bought a SB800, what a difference! The SB 800 is worth getting for the D200, besides FP it just works without fiddeling around.

9. husawis

husawis Guest

D1X Fast Sync

[​IMG]

This photo was taken today using a faster sync speed as desribed at strobist.com. The reason it was needed was because of the high winds that put the subject - 4.5 foot foxglove cultivar - in continual motion. The SB26 was set to zoom: 85mm; f 8; 1/16 power in M mode. The D1X shutter speed was 1/1250 sec f 16 at ISO 200. The flash was triggered by a PWII and was positioned about 28 inches from the subject. Image was converted from NEF using NX. Only crop/sharpening/convert for web were done. The subject was in bright sun. Lens 105mm 2.8 VR.

Here is a good application of the method. I have others I will post in the appropriate forum.

10. Yep ! I also followed Uncle Frank's advice (i only needed this to get an excuse to buy the SB-800 ! :Crunk:)  and went to visit my photo-shop...

Here's a few quick shot i took the same evening, at a friend's daughter anniversary party !

All the shots with D200 + "the Beast" and SB-800 bounced to the ceiling. (EXIFs embedded in the images).

The camera was set at "Aperture Priority" F/6.7 - ISO 250 - RAW - WB Auto. The flash was set at Zoom Auto - iTTL inside (iTTL-BL outside). Inside, i pulled the build-i bounce-card, ant set the flash-head at about 60 degrees. Outside, -as for the last pic-, i used the "diffusion dome" and lowered the power of the flash by 1 EV. I must say that i'm quite amazed by the capacity of the SB-800 to compute the lighting for the the fill-in !

original.

View attachment 98038

View attachment 98039

View attachment 98040

View attachment 98041

...i repeat: these were "snapshots" ! Now, i have to learn how to succeed to keep the kids STILL -for a few seconds- and smile "normally" :wink: !

BTW, i'm REALLY impressed by the SB-800: i used to use the SB80-DX with a Fuji S2 and a D70, but now... what a difference: that flash is really intelligent !

Any advice/tips on how to get better results with only one flash mounted on the hot-shoe are welcome...

Cheers,
    J-P.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 7, 2007
  11. They look like compositions to me, JP. Isn't it great to be able to use your camera indoors? :biggrin:

12. Good job JP, fun isn't it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.