Strobist goes Iceblocking!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Skunkabilly, Jul 12, 2007.

1. [​IMG]

Here's us in action, captured by my friend
    [​IMG]

My friend Matt is holding my D200 and I'm holding my SB-800 and his SB-600 (he shoots a D70, so I leave my D200 tuned to 3A for moments like this). For those who don't know, iceblocking is, well, sliding down a hill on a block of ice.

here are some more from the evening:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And an assisted self-portrait. Rachel is holding my D200 (rested on my knee, that sucker is heavy with an L-bracket) underexposed by a stop and a half. Brianna is holding my SB-800. Her face is a little hot but I shot it in JPG and am having trouble recovering the highlights.
    [​IMG]

Your thoughts?

2. great shots.....
    love how you've conveyed the feeling of motion...

3. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Very cool and looks like a lot of fun! Never heard of "ice blocking" before this.

4. HHARRIS

HHARRIS

May 1, 2007
    So Cal
    Oh yea "ice blocking" used to do it at the huntington beach library back in tha day! the more I see your posts The more I think we gotta hook up for photos and crazyness...

HHARRIS

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  5. I look forward to reading your posts, Jeff, because you let us share in your joy of life through your photos. You're having more fun with Strobism than anyone I know.

6. Thanks UF, I think the stuff I like to take pictures of just lends itself to that 'oh crap I hope I dont break my camera' feel! I'm looking forward to my canyoneering trip in two weeks.