Strobist: It's here!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ShaunK, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Well, I finally received the final part of my lighting kit today! :biggrin:
    978958922_1c3f2e8543.

I can't wait to start "playing" with it... I have a month to practice before my first wedding. I am hoping to be able to use at least one of the umbrellas for the bride/groom shoot, and am planning on using the full set-up for the formals/family shots which will be done inside the church... and also for the reception which will be held outside, after dark! :eek: I hope this light will make a major difference.

2-10 ft. air cushioned light stands
    3-45" umbrellas (2 white, 1 silver)
    1-42" reflector white/silver
    1-Cactus V2 trigger and 4 receivers
    View attachment 109162

View attachment 109163

View attachment 109164

Funny thing is that I order the triggers directly from Gadget Infinity in Hong Kong on the same day as the rest from B&H, and I've already had the V2's almost a week earlier!!! Talk about great service! Well, off to enjoy. I hope to post some results here soon!

View attachment 109165
    Yep, works great! :smile:

2. Nice setup. I've seen/heard of silver vs. gold for reflectors, but what does the white do for you in terms of "temp"?

3. I don't know about "temp", but it is less harsh/hard than the silver. Softer, but not as warm as the gold. If I need the gold, I'll get one of those, too! :smile:

4. Very nice gear, Shaun! Christmas came early this year :).

I applaud your choice in umbrellas. I have a 45" Photoflex white with black backing, and it's a very well made umbrella. I just picked up a 45" white shoot through to match it.

I'll be interested in your feedback on the Cactus V2 system. It seems like a very good solution, and is surprisingly affordable.

Now get to work practicing up for the wedding!

5. Thanks, Uncle Frank... so far I am happy with all my choices. The light stands are a bit light weight, but all this gear is really to get me into the mode and practicing, and once I know I can go further, I will replace with better, if necessary. So far, the V2s work very well. I haven't tested for distance, etc. yet, but tomorrow I have the day off, so if I can coerce my girls into sitting still for a while, I'll have some good tests to report.

6. Congratulations on some nice equipment Shaun. We look forward to seeing some images taken with this gear.