Strobist Kit Question

I have recently taken up an interest in portraiture and the Strobist concept has captured my interest. I've never shot with this equipment before so I'm trying to decide on a kit. Is the Midwest Photo Exchange "Pro Strobist Wireless Kit (PW1)" the best way to go, or am I better off to buy separate components from someplace like B&H? I just want to avoid buying something, only to discover a couple of months later that I need to upgrade.

Thanks

I think you would be better served in the long run by buying an SB800 and building your kit around that from components.

I have started a kit of my own.. I already have an SB-800, I just purchased the Cheap Ebay triggers, SB-600 and Made my Own Custom "Wonton Soup" Light Sphere!

Next on my list is an Umbrella, Soft Box, Light stands and possible a Sunpak 383.

I think you're better off making your own kit. You may not use everything they include. A good list to start off with would be something like...

SB-800
A lightweight standard sized light-stand. Bogen 001B.
A $15-20 Umbrella Swivel.
Portable Umbrellas. Medium sized for all different kinds of work. Westcott 43" Collapsable Silver or White.
Cactus Triggers or Pocket Wizards or SU-800. You choose!

Is the Midwest Photo Exchange "Pro Strobist Wireless Kit (PW1)" the best way to go, or am I better off to buy separate components from someplace like B&H?

If you buy the kit, I think you'll be upgrading components before the end of the year.... for example, the battery charger. And, as others have commented, the SB-800 is a great flash to build your kit around. Jmho.

I agree. If you've browsed through the Strobist site and the work of some of the photographers that follow the Strobist Way religiously, you'll notice that SB-800s or other Speedlights of the like will do more than you expect (that is, unless you're expecting Profoto output).

There are many tips floating around the internet as to how to go about modifying and creating things for your Speedlights to create a "kit".

Thanks for all the insights. I already own a SB800 and was considering the Vivitar as an additional flash. I have no qualms about buying the components separately, but I wanted your opinions first. I noticed that the Strobist has an updated article where David reveals that he has done a complete 180 degree turn on umbrellas and now uses the shoot through style umbrella for the majority of his shots. That is what lead me to ask the question in the first place. It makes me crazy when I buy something and find I want to change or upgrade within a few months. That's why I'm picking you brains! I want to create an in-home studio and really appreciate all you wisdom and insights. Thanks!

Latest threads

Top Bottom