Strobist: Making progress!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 12, 2007.

1. My goal is to know my gear well enough that I can "see through it". I mostly take people pics, so I want to concentrate on the subjects, and not let the technology distract me. I hate new cameras, because it takes 6 months to a year for them to become invisible. And when I started the off-camera flash stuff, the gear (multiple flash heads, light stands, umbrellas. adapters, Commanders, etc.) were a definite distraction... to the point where I was disappointed in the next few portrait sessions.

I think I'm making progress, at least when it comes to the basic stuff. I did a single flash portrait session today, and positioning the umbrella and then balancing the flash and ambient came pretty easily. As a result, I was able to ignore the technical stuff and concentrate on pretty Sherri :smile:.

2. TTL makes fill flash a walk in the park.

What i would try is to over power the ambient light by 1/2 - 1 stop to get a darker bg.

Just a thought

3. I set the flash manually for this series, Paul.

4. chemisti

chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    Very nicely done - Nice Bokeh

5. Thank you, sir. I used the 85mm f/1.4 for this shot. It does sweet things to busy backgrounds :smile:.

6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I have been learning so much here and on the job the last 3 weeks its incredible. I've awakened from a sloppy 'fine art' photographer to one who has to nail the assignment on demand. Its both fun and exhilerating. Using multiple strobes in manual is starting to make sense. I can relate to everything you've said Frank.

7. Oh my bad!

Now this make me curious. Why do you prefer manual over ttl and ev adjustments ? Does manual mode offer greater adjustment in power then the ev-+3 ?

8. I'm trying to do it the Strobist way... full manual for both the camera and the flash. I'll probably start using TTL after I get a better understanding of the manual approach.

9. ah the strobist way.Got it :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.