Strobist: Making progress!

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 12, 2007.

1. My goal is to know my gear well enough that I can "see through it". I mostly take people pics, so I want to concentrate on the subjects, and not let the technology distract me. I hate new cameras, because it takes 6 months to a year for them to become invisible. And when I started the off-camera flash stuff, the gear (multiple flash heads, light stands, umbrellas. adapters, Commanders, etc.) were a definite distraction... to the point where I was disappointed in the next few portrait sessions.

I think I'm making progress, at least when it comes to the basic stuff. I did a single flash portrait session today, and positioning the umbrella and then balancing the flash and ambient came pretty easily. As a result, I was able to ignore the technical stuff and concentrate on pretty Sherri :smile:.

2. TTL makes fill flash a walk in the park.

What i would try is to over power the ambient light by 1/2 - 1 stop to get a darker bg.

Just a thought
  3. I set the flash manually for this series, Paul.
  4. chemisti

May 24, 2007
    McKinney, TX
    Very nicely done - Nice Bokeh
  5. Thank you, sir. I used the 85mm f/1.4 for this shot. It does sweet things to busy backgrounds :smile:.
  6. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

I have been learning so much here and on the job the last 3 weeks its incredible. I've awakened from a sloppy 'fine art' photographer to one who has to nail the assignment on demand. Its both fun and exhilerating. Using multiple strobes in manual is starting to make sense. I can relate to everything you've said Frank.
  7. Oh my bad!

Now this make me curious. Why do you prefer manual over ttl and ev adjustments ? Does manual mode offer greater adjustment in power then the ev-+3 ?
  8. I'm trying to do it the Strobist way... full manual for both the camera and the flash. I'll probably start using TTL after I get a better understanding of the manual approach.
  9. ah the strobist way.Got it :)