Strobist: Manual or CLS

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 30, 2007.

1. I found four references to CLS on the Strobist blog today.

I'm surprised, because I'd imagine the majority of Dave's audience are not Nikon shooters, and CLS isn't a reasonable suggestion for the starving student segment. But it's nice to see that he recognizes the merit in CLS, and I hope he continues to explore it.

2. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    When you think about it, if you are a Nikon shooter, CLS winds up being the best bet overall for most applications. You have less gear to drag around and none of the issues with PC cords that worked yesterday being dead today.

Everyone needs to buy a system based on their needs and opnions, but I am thankful I went to Nikon rather than Canon when I decided to leave Minolta. My initial feelings were that the focus speed and better flash were worth the switch, but once I got my SB800, I KNEW I had made the right move.

3. CLS is a great feature for sure.

4. CLS was the main reason I switched from my D100 to my D200. I'm signed up for Nikonian's CLS course next week in Toronto. I'll let you know how it goes.

Bruce