Strobist: Portable studio gig

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Uncle Frank, Jul 16, 2007.

1. I shot a Gaye Holud on Saturday. This is a ceremony observed mostly in the region of Bengal. For yesterday's event, the bride and groom were seated on a dais, and guests approached to apply turmeric paste to the bride and groom's foreheads, and fed them sweets.

I set up two sb800 to light the dias area, and triggered them with an su800, which allowed me freedom to shoot from various perspectives without making changes. This was my setup...

... and here are some same sample results.

View attachment 106343

View attachment 106344

View attachment 106345

View attachment 106346

View attachment 106347

2. Very professional looking results , I need to experiment more with my unused umbrellas ....

3. looks like an accident waiting to happen, if one of those stands falls someone could get seriously injured,. worth considering public liability if you haven't already!

Sil

4. The great thing about using a flash on location is that they are light. That is the same with the umbrella's and stands. I doubt that anyone would get hurt if hit with this rig. Now a strobe would be a different situation.

5. Very nice. I've been thinking about a portable setup like this.

What stands, softboxes, and umbrellas are you using Frank?

6. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

Hey Frank, great shots! I was thinking of using the same setup for a home studio. I was just wondering, for this distance, was there an issue using the built in commander on vs. the SU-800? Also, with a setup like this, do you think an SB600 will be enough as a second flash?

btw, on the first pic., what is on your hotshoe? Thanks.

7. The pair of 8 ft. stands and umbrella adapters are from a kit I bought from B&H photo for $99.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/425220-REG/Impact_DFUMK_Digital_Flash_Umbrella_Mount.html

kit also includes two very useful 32" umbrellas, but I used larger ones for this gig. The one on the left is a 40" UmbrelSoft shoot-through umbrella by DynaPhos, and the one on the right is a standard 45" white umbrella with removeable black backing.

8. Since I was moving around, the sensors on my sb800s weren't always in line-of-sight. But the su800's IR signals are powerful and bounce off walls and other surfaces, so the strobes triggered reliably. I didn't test it, but I don't think that would have been the case with my camera's internal flash.

Absolutely. I was only using 1/4 power on one of the sb800s, and 1/8 on the other.

It's the su800. My wife took the shot using my backup camera with the 20/2.8 prime, so perspective distortion makes the su800 look huge, but it's actually small compared to a Speedlight.

9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas

More than likely, if anything was damaged, it would be the speedlites or the umbrellas.

10. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

Thanks for the info Frank. my commander at times has a hard time triggering my SB800 from about 10ft or so when its in an awkward position. it gets tricky sometimes obtaining the best line of sight with the IR on the flash, but it has limits on its positioning. I'm trying to decide between the Pocketwizard Plus II Transceiver vs. SU-800, but need to do more research.

But yes, from your pic, I thought the SU-800 looked big since I've never seen one before. :biggrin: Thanks again.

11. Since I need to learn lighting and equipment, subscribing.

12. snownow

snownow

Jul 13, 2006
    so cal
    WOW, Great light. I like the set up.