Strobist: Self Portrait

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by Gr8Tr1x, May 21, 2007.

1. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

With the desire to add a real photograph of me as an avatar, I tried to think of some creative ways to present myself. I opted to try a little something with my glasses as the main subject, with my face thrown out of focus by the 50mm 1.8 I was using.

I had an SB600 set up at camera left aimed at my glasses and my hand. I wanted to illuminate them and expose them properly, with just a hint on the side of my face. I had an SB800 on the camera pointed up for bounce to add a little fill. I set the camera to Close Focus Mode and used a barely long enough electronic shutter release to set focus and trip the shutter once I was in position. I was fairly happy with the results after a few tries. I liked the rendering of the 'four eyes' along with the glasses as the main subject.

2. MarkM

Dec 20, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    That came out nice, I really like that effect.

3. Haibane

Aug 14, 2006
    Smyrna, Georgia
    Great shot. Love the idea
  4. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks Guys.
  5. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Good shot and good idea Josh...very creative!

The self portrait itself is also a good idea to practice off camera lighting techniques. I think I'll start another thread...Self portrait, Strobist Style. Could be good fun!
  6. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks, Ray.
  7. Very cool, Joshua. Did it take many tries to get holding the glasses in the right position, or did you have a way of lining them up so you knew what would be seen thru them?
  8. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Thanks, I had more trouble getting the lighting right. I just positioned myself so I could see right up into the lens. One or two tries and I was able to line it up right...A little bit of reflection from the front lens element helped too.
  9. StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Very creative and interesting, four eyes :)
  10. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Heh...thanks. :smile: