Strobist: Simple lighting exercise needed

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by KAEPhoto, Jun 22, 2007.

1. Greetings Luminaries,

I just received my starving student kit from MPEX and will have my Vivitar 285HV momentarily. I am looking for ideas for shots featuring one off-camera flash/umbrella setup and ambient light.

Anyone have any ideas for assignments using one off-camera flash?

It would be great to see some shots if you have them.

2. Here is one done with window light and a simple on camera flash.

original.

3. Thanks, Gordon. I think I'll start practicing with something similar. Nice even lighting. Hard to even tell you used flash. I guess that is the goal.

4. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Keith, dig around Lighting 101/On Assignment on strobist and you'll get lots of ideas that can be done with your setup. The Strobist Flickr Pool can be a great source of inspiration as well.

Also, jump in on the Lighting 102!

Here's one that I did recently:

Single SB-800 in brolly box at camera left, approx three feet from subject. Triggered via D70 in commander mode.

[​IMG]

5. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand

Did he just say "on" camera flash?? [​IMG] Oh, the HORROR! :eek:

I'm afraid that little stunt is going to cost you ten Strobist Cool Points, young man! :wink:

Just kidding Gordon...lovely portrait!!

6. I hear you Ray, this was taken before I knew better and only had one flash.

7. Thanks for the pic and the advice, Ray. I did spend some time looking at the long list of On Assignment projects, but I'm not sure how to locate any which use just one off-camera flash. Your example is a nice one.

I'll keep looking around.

Cheers

8. One flash and sunlight are enough to make studio-like portraits if you have a light colored background. I took these shots today with one flash, on a stand at camera right, shooting it through an umbrella raised to a height of approximately 6 feet. I balanced the flash with sunlight light coming through a glass door at camera left.

View attachment 102131

View attachment 102132

9. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Gordon, if that was "before you knew better" then ignorance is bliss. That is a delightful portrait shot.

10. jcovert

jcovert Guest

Awesome new pics Frank! I love 'em.

11. Nice examples, Frank. So, the idea is to use the off-camera flash to balance the ambient light, either as a main or a fill? I like how you left a little bit of shadow to add some definition. That makes sense.

Here is a candid shot I did using only available ambient light. I can see how a soft umbrella could have balanced it out a bit. Can't wait to start trying..now if that flash would just arrive...:rolleyes:

[​IMG]

12. Thanks, JC!

Keith, you're definitely on the right track. All you need is the strobe and you'll be in business :).

13. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Here is my first attempt at off camera flash. Camera and Flash are set to manual. 50 1.8 lens. First I metered off the back ground and set so that the needle was centered. Then brought the camera down to my subjects. Using the sb-600 (bungeed to a latter ~ 4 feet / with a feather lite better bounce card) I took the first shot. With the on board flash --- and the sb-600 1/1 (full power?). This was to bright it put some bright spots and caused shadows from my fathers glasses.

http://paradiddle.smugmug.com/photos/166738006-600-600.jpg

Then I left camera setting the same and dialed down the flash to 1/8 th power. My parents took off thier glasses. It was starting to rain and they don't like sitting in the rain and they don't like getting thier glasses wet! I will try more later.

http://paradiddle.smugmug.com/photos/166737847-600-600.jpg

14. I tried to check your samples out, but I get the "photo cannot be found" error message, PD.

15. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Here is another try at posting the pictures.

Here is my first attempt at off camera flash. Camera and Flash are set to manual. 50 1.8 lens. First I metered off the back ground and set so that the needle was centered. Then brought the camera down to my subjects. Using the sb-600 (bungeed to a latter ~ 4 feet / with a feather lite better bounce card) I took the first shot. With the on board flash --- and the sb-600 1/1 (full power?). This was to bright it put some bright spots and caused shadows from my fathers glasses.

[​IMG]

Then I left camera setting the same and dialed down the flash to 1/8 th power. My parents took off thier glasses. It was starting to rain and they don't like sitting in the rain and they don't like getting thier glasses wet! I will try more later.

[​IMG]

16. Balanced light is nice to work with (mix of available light and strobes).
    Here is an image shot that way (posted in another thread before) of our son as he was heading to his graduation party (available window light and 2 strobes into umbrellas - reflected):

D2x, Nikkor Ai-S 85mm f/1.4
    original.