Strobist Test: Corner Head Shoot - CC Welcomed

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by paradiddle, Jul 18, 2007.

1. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    This a double test. One I am posting on a test zenfolio account to see if I get better resoultion results. This photo looks great on my laptop, and awesome on my 19" monitor at work and printed with my HP-inkjet.

It is taken in a room with white walls, SB-600 bounced into an umbrella (in the picture and on the 19" monitor you see the catch lights are shaped like the umbrella), D80 with 50mm 1.8.

Also I am very unpleased with how my photos display on the web. They don't seem sharp and look very dull. Nothing like when I view my pictures with CaptureNX, Windows Picture Viewer. So this is a test to see if I like the results at Zenfolio. Comments welcomed.

Zenfolio

[​IMG]

Smugmug

[​IMG]

2. I give the edge to Smugmug but not by a lot. Are you converting them to sRGB and then doing a "save as" before converting them to a JPEG? The image actually looks pretty sharp and has decent contrast.

3. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Gordon - Color mode in the camera is Mode 1a. I did not change that. On this particular picture I adjusted white balance from auto to flash. Exposure Comp + 0.13. Both of those adjustments were done in camera control - Capture NX. Looking at the edit list this picture wasn't cropped, even though I thought I shaved a little off the right to make it fit a 5x7 frame in landscape. I then saved the .nef file. then did a save as changed file type to jpeg adjusted the slider to max quality and saved.

After i uploaded this picture to both sites I was pretty pleased with how it looked.

4. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Viewing on my Macbook Pro, I prefer the Zenfolio image.

5. genehsu

genehsu

Apr 15, 2007
    Seattle
    To me they look equivalent. Not quite the same, but pretty close. Zenfolio seems to keep a bit more highlights (nose sweat, lip glare) compared to Smugmug. Smugmug looks slightly more pixel-averaged than Zenfolio, but that could be good or bad depending on the picture. The overall colors look the same to me, which is what I'd be primarily concerned with.

6. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Hmmmm. Interesting. On my screen, the Zenfolio image is much warmer :confused:

7. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Same here, but I don't see much difference. Both are nice.

8. There's noticeable tone differences between the two, with smugmug being lighter (and too much for my taste).

I never trust a site's scaling abilities to handle my pictures (I use a pbase account). I resize in Lightroom or Photoshop to the target viewing image size, so i keep keep full control of tone curve, sharpening etc.

9. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    I wonder why some see a difference and others don't :confused:

10. layers superimposed and layer characteristic set to difference.
    Contrast exagerated.

Are these sized to before loading?

p8554974174diffzh5.

11. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    Lew - I cropped them. I used capture nx. I don't know anything about layers or super imposing, or resizing.

12. I guess my question was did you crop them to the display size to the 800 x 536 and then upload them or were they uploaded at a larger pixel dimension?

13. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    They were uploaded original size. When I paste the url from smugmug I replace the filename tag for large/Medium/Small with a 600x600.jpg

If there is a non cryptic/3 chapter explination on how I should be saving my files for web viewing and printing I would love the help. I must point out that the only PP software I have is Capture NX. I think I would like to get photoshop sometime but appears that will be another $700. I can't afford that for a while.

14. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    This is your problem. Your having your hosting site run some sub-par algorithm to reduce the dimensions of your file.

Next time adjust the image dimensions in Photoshop and upload it as the size you want it. This will also have the side benefit of reducing the file size drastically which should improve your upload times significantly.

There should be NO difference between hosting since hosting doesn't modify the file ... well, that is unless you're allowing them to resize your photo for you. =)

15. jcovert

jcovert Guest

I think Flickr does a great job of resizing pics. Not like it's rocket science.

Paradiddle - check out www.dxo.com - app is called DxO Optics, and it's very sweet imho.