Strong Possibility - A Move to the Dark Side?

Real Name
Ken St John
UPDATE: Deal "approved," order placed, and I'm now waiting on the brown truck, which is sort of due tomorrow (Monday). The order was shipped Next Day Air on Thursday, but missed it's flight out of the New York area. What a saga from there on!!

I kept getting emails that it would be delivered Friday before 10:30 at my home. Then, a note that it would be delivered by 8pm Friday because it was tendered late. I called and asked to have UPS hold it at the local office as my wife and I were out of town overnight Friday and wouldn't be around for a later afternoon delivery on Friday. Sure. Now, all weekend, I'm getting messages that it's not even in my area yet (last seen in Portland, OR, yesterday), and notices that it would be delivered to my home tomorrow (Monday) by 10:30 AM ... or 8:00 PM ... or held at the Center!! All three options are listed on the UPS website and in my emails!! I finally called, and the UPS CSR said it would be definitely held at the Center .... but don't drive out until I get a notification that it's there!! I must admit this is the first time I've had this much trouble with UPS!!

On another note ... I've been trying to do some initial training through Canon's website and find most of their videos helpful. In looking at the one on their Speedlights, I had to laugh ... the guy they had doing them was clearly very well qualified and had several good suggestions. But, as a "performer" or "personality" he was nowhere near the same league as Nikon's "famous" Joe McNally!!

Hopefully ... I'll have some initial thoughts in a day or two, depending on UPS!!!

Ken

Real Name
Ken St John
Alls well ....

IMG_1154.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Look for me to post up some initial images in the "Non-Nikon System Cameras" Forum!!

Ken

What a trip! Glad it turned up safe and in good shape after all that.

And as everyone else said before, it really doesn't matter...

Wring it out good, and let's see what you got! :)

Real Name
Ken St John
Some thoughts a month or so into the change...

IQ differences are non existent to my eyes. If there's some measurement that shows the IQ on the D750 is better than the 6D2, those differences are not visible to my eyes!! But, that also means the 6D2 is no better than the D750 as well!! Both are superb!!

Taking a long time to re-learn "muscle memory". Buttons are in different places, and so on. Biggest one makes me smile every time -- the lens off/on twist is the opposite direction! And I mess up often ... :rolleyes:

If you don't have a touch screen (a la D850), you're missing out on an amazing ergonomic helper. Shooting on a tripod was especially nice as all I had to do was tap a location and the camera set the focus and shutter settings. MUCH easier!!

It's been amazing how often I must have used the pop-up flash!! All of my Nikons had this and it's an item that's already been missed several times. Mostly when a last minute fill flash would be nice .... and my now separate flash is back home on my desk. Has happened quite a few times already!! Frankly, I don't like having to carry a separate flash but I'm learning I have to!!

I'm already a member of Canon Pro Services ... I waited on NPS for 4 months with only a few "our system is not working right now" responses and finally just opted out of my NPS application. CPS took 1 day. (Just got an email about a balloon fest in New Mexico with an invitation to stop by and try out some lenses!! I won't be able to go ... but it's nice to know it's an available option!!)

Although Canon's 17-40 f4 zoom is a very nice wide angle option, I do miss the Nikon 14-24 f2.8. What a magnificent lens that is. I loved just looking at it!!

Canon's version of VR (Image Stabilization - IS) can be noisy. I can hear the motor in the lens. Particularly noticeable in the 70-200. I checked with Canon tech support and they indicated this is normal. I get a "free" service next year though CPS and hopefully they can fix it a bit so it's not as loud. I think Nikon's VR systems are much better built as I never even knew they were working!!

Bummer - my old friend Apple Aperture refuses to read the 6D2's RAW files. Since Apple no longer "updates" Aperture, I'm pretty much SOL. When I asked Apple, they did point out that Mac Photos will read the files. But, I just prefer Aperture!! :mad: (However ... DXO, On1, and LR6 will read the files as well as Canon's own Photo Professional 4 [CPP] so I do have options. CPP is actually a pretty good program, if somewhat clunky to use as part of an efficient workflow.)

That's about it ...

Ken

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom