Struggling to keep his side of the bargain

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by Clivegriff, Mar 7, 2005.

1. 40483088.

The somewhat aggressive looking individual on the left is my youngest son, the team captain. The guy on the right is the "pack leader".

The pack leader had a favourite method of motivating his team-mates. At any given moment he would shout "come on, lads, let's get our [expletive edited] heads on!".

Translation: "I think we'd improve if we gave more thought to the task on hand."

Jamie, the said pack leader, who off-the-field is intelligent and sensitive, asked me if I had any action pictures of him that he could show his family and, if so, would I blow them onto a CD for him and he would gladly pay any reasonable fee.

I told him I had about 60 pictures of him in action and would put them on a CD for him at no charge ON CONDITION that he agreed never again to utter the phrase: "come on, lads, let's get our [expletive edited] heads on!". Without that undertaking my services would cost him fifty quid.

Naturally, he agreed not to use his favoured phrase ever again.

So far, he's managed to keep his promise, but as the above picture shows, he's clearly thinking about it!

2. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Okay I'm guilty of using curse words when at work and other places, but I don't use them when children are around. It does make me kind of sick to go to semi-pro football (soccer) matches and have them using the f-word every other word, when there are lots of kids along the sidelines looking up to these guys. I could even see it being used every now and then for a really bad play, but it's almost every other word. They really need to enforce sportsmanship and reduce it.

As for the picture your right, you can tell what he wants to say.

3. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I'm Australian therefore I swear. To my mind, there are far far worse things in the world to worry about.

Nice pic and great story Clive. I don't know how Jamie will be able to keep his part of the deal when battle becomes intense. :)

Neil

4. Hey Clive, good image, good story.

5. I'd say there's a good chance you'll have 50 quid to spend on gear in the very near future :lol:

6. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Clive,

I also predict that you will collect.... :? Maybe if you told him how little faith we all have, he'll make an extra effort through.... :eek:

Frank

7. Neither does Jamie, or at least I've never heard him.

The spectators at the matches in question are usually entirely adults, and when there are kids around, the volume of on-field communication is strictly controlled by the team captain - himself the father of a two year old boy.

It wasn't actually the bad language I objected to but the sheer predictability and lack of imagination of his exhortations.

8. Neither do I, Neil, but it's gonna be fun finding out.

I'm in the proverbial "win-win" situation!

9. Thanks, Gordon, I'm pleased you enjoyed them.

10. I'll keep you informed, Frank. :lol:

I quite fancy an 85mm prime and fifty quid will swell the fund a little.

11. Time will tell, Frank.

There are some tough fixtures on the horizon.

I'm delighted to say!

:p

12. It might help a little for the f/1.8, but it won't make a noticeable dent in the cost of the f/1.4.

13. Yeah, you're right.

But I probably couldn't cope with the shallow DOF of the f/1.4 anyway so I'll settle for the f/1.8.

Another advantage is that I won't have to grovel to my Chief Finance Officer for quite so long. :wink:

14. hans

hans

Feb 5, 2005
    The Netherlands
    Clive

I've worked on several projects in Great Brittain and with a lot of "natives"
    swearing was normal,also was a "normal"conversation,think it's a habit

A lot of people over here in the Netherlands are against swearing,I myself do it on the job sometimes on the cuys on the job when I'm not satisfied,.

When I was younger I did far more swearing,guess it's age dependent

15. marek

marek Guest

You're an Aussie? Maaate, I say maaaate. Good to see anothe ex-pat on here. Though I'm not sure I count as one as I left my mothercountry for my mouthercountry (Aus -> Poland)