STS-133, the final liftoff of Discovery

I was fortunate enough to catch the final liftoff of Space Shuttle Discovery on 2/24/11. I watched from the Max Brewer Parkway bridge in Titusville which is about 8-9 miles away from lanuchpad 39a.

I have to say it was quite an experience and I'm happy I was able to finally see a launch. This is the last flight for Discovery and there are only two more shuttle launches on the calender before they are retired to the museum.

I'll post more when I get more time to edit and upload them.

Hope you enjoy the photos :smile:

Off the launchpad. D300 w/500mm

5529328509_3b194982a9_z.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

About 1/2 way through booster burnout. D300 w/500mm

5529343925_19312c14d2_z.jpg

Wide shot. D200 w/17-35@35mm, clamped to railing and fired w/remote from D300

5529902406_4b1b7dbddf_z.jpg

The beginning of a 4 hour traffic jam to go 12 miles back to Cocoa, FL. I guess there are less beautiful places to be stuck in traffic!

5529331787_f6bb3f16c2_z.jpg

Nice pictures. You mention you might go back for the next launch in April. Congrats. I have only seen columbia go up and that was back in 1982. My parents are in florida and I keep asking why they don't go. Your last picture sums it up. The long line to get out of there. My response to them is they are retired what is the hurry.

Nice pictures. You mention you might go back for the next launch in April. Congrats. I have only seen columbia go up and that was back in 1982. My parents are in florida and I keep asking why they don't go. Your last picture sums it up. The long line to get out of there. My response to them is they are retired what is the hurry.

Thank you for the compliments. It's a long drive back to Wisconsin too, what's to worry about with a few hours of traffic in Florida? You should catch this launch it may be the last chance ever!

Wow that's awesome that you could go see the launch. Probably amazing sounding even from 8 miles away haha

Amazing to see the end of the Shuttle program come to an end.

I'm glad you were finally able to see it in person and share your photos. Unfortunatly I will never be able to see it launch in person, guess I'll have to wait to the next rocket program.

Thanks for sharing.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom