StubHub account hacked

I got an email from Stubhub informing me I could now download my $1,000 worth of hockey tickets for tomorrow night in San Jose. (And while I like hockey, I live in Michigan, and I'd much rather see the Wings play anyone than watch the Kings play the Sharks. But it'd have to be a helluva Wings game to pay $1K!)

I figured it was a phishing scam, but when I logged onto Stubhub ... lo and behold, there was the order. It looks like someone added a San Francisco address (still under my name) to the account. Here's where it get really weird -- the credit card they used to charge the tickets? Not mine. Checked with my husband, and it's not his either.

So, that's a relief at least, but obviously the whole thing seems really scammy. If they were using their OWN credit card, I can't imagine why they'd go to the trouble of hacking my account. I'm guessing it's a stolen credit card and they've used my account to make it less likely that it can be traced back to them.

I called Stubhub and told them I did NOT order those tickets. They canceled the order and said they plan to investigate. I also took screensnaps of the CC info (it's only an expiration and last four digits) and the address, then deleted all the new info (as well as my own CC info) from my account and changed the password.

I'm also planning on calling my local police department and filing a report, so there's a record in case someone tries to claim I stole their CC info. Is there anything else I should do?

What a freaking cluster. :p

Can you trade in those tickets and get me Rangers/Bruins since you won't be going?

Lol! They'd be dang good seats, too -- there were only two tickets in that order!

Lol! They'd be dang good seats, too -- there were only two tickets in that order!

SUCKS that you have to deal with all this no sense!!!!

I took my son to ONE game in the first round at MSG, Rangers/Caps. We sat nowhere near the ice and 2 tickets cost me over $500!!!!!

I'd avise you to check your credit report too... who says they didn't hack your account and apply for a credit card in your name?

And report it to your credit card company and bank... You may want to get new
credit/debit cards just to be on the safe side... Heck, I'd be changing all of my
passwords as well for all important accounts...

get a couple credit cards, then freeze your credit so nothing can be opened in your name. Best if the cards can be set up with revolving numbers.

RFID block wallet , Alumina wallet being one, if your cards have RFID chips. Mine do not.

Use cash whenever possible. No online banking, pay by phone. Purge computer of key loggers. Never type any number in in proper sequence, Type a few, go to another web page, type dummy #, return to other page.

Use PayPal so you card is not exposed to merchants. Useful for sending cash to family and friends also.

Get new cards occasionally. Tell the credit card co you lost yours. They will be more than happy to kill the lost #.

Report this to the credit bureaus like Experian. They will monitor free for 3/6 month if fraud is suspected.

If you have to use a card on line, make sure it is a secure web address starting with HTTPS:

Do not carry money or cards in your purse. The purse is for makeup and pens and extra battery and memory cards.

Shread all mail with your name and address.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom