Stuck in SB800 screen - help

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by the_traveler, Aug 2, 2007.

1. I have limited experience with the SB800 altho I have been successful in using it off-camera as the remote.

Now It seems to be stuck in this screen pictured below and I can't get it back to the basic screen.

Any help?
    any link to good tutorial on the SB800 (the manual is terrible)
    thanks in advance.

sb800ue9.

2. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    Lew,
    Push and hold the "Sel" button. When the next screen comes up, push the "sel" button again and then use the "+" button to move it from "master" to "off." Then push and hold the "sel" button again.

That should fix it.

3. Thanks a lot.
    I see you are in SEA - my favorite place. You're very lucky. I spent 5 weeks in Laos in Jan/Feb and can't wait to return.

4. Ray C.

Ray C.

Nov 7, 2005
    Thailand
    No problem Lew.

I know what you mean...Thailand rocks! There are definitely worse places to live and "semi"-retire at 43! :wink:

5. One of my pet peeves. The SB flashes are the most poorly documented pieces of electronic equipment I have ever seen. The manual is virtually worthless.

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer (I only graduated in the top 5 of my medical school class), but Nikon should be ashamed of themselves for these manuals!!

6. what I do not understand why they have altogether different set of key combinations for a similar task in SB-600. I think Mode and - button together changes modes. Drives me crazy to work with SB-800 and SB-600 together.

7. Mitchell and Sam, I couldn't agree more. When I first got mine I immediately gave up on the manual and went into a darkened room and didn't come out until I had learned how to use them. What a joke the manuals are.

8. Nikon has a long tradition of writing incomprehensible owners manuals. They use a language I call Jinglish, which I believe is the product of the the Alta Vista Babblefish translator. Dreadful manuals have become part of the charm of Nikon gear. I love their boilerplate warnings, like this tidbit on page iii of the d200 manual:

Duh.

9. Sam, I think this was also a big part of my problem. I started with an SB600 and then added a few SB800s. It was maddening that the key combinations were so different for each unit!

Gordon, you're making me feel a little better! I tend to be very precise in my life and work. I do a lot a microscopic ear surgery almost every day. Even now, after two years, I am still reduced to randomly pushing and holding different buttons on these units to try and get them into the different modes! It is truly maddening!!!

10. Written for the American market though Unkie Frank, could bet a £1 sterling to two of your American $'s that it came about after someone did poke themselves in the eye and sent a court summons to Nikon USA claiming damages of half a billion dollars.

But hey, we are getting just as bad over here written on a packet of salted peanuts -

11. Now with my SU-800 I got yesterday, bit relieved to find that I can do away with individual flash settings and control them remotely from the SU-800. (Gordon and Uncle Frank: Please correct me if I am wrong ).

May be a vast Nikon conspiracy to sell SU-800. :biggrin:

12. ROFLMAO!!!

13. Absolutely! It makes CLS so simple. Put your sb600 and sb800 on remote, and the su800 controls them as if they were the same model. And there's no more running over to light stands to adjust flash power and then running back to take another test shot :biggrin:.

14. Thanks. While doing the same in past, I have created quite a mess. Sometimes toppled the stand, changed settings on SB-800 (for example, changed manual to TTL).:mad:

15. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    One would hope a bag of salted nuts does indeed contain nuts!

16. BigPixel

BigPixel Guest

what's weird to me is that this screen is totally different than the two SB 800s I have. Did Nikon revamp this strobe at some point? Maybe it displays differently on a CLS cam body. As some of you know, my camera is not CLS enabled.

edit: I think I get it now. Its showing 3 channels. Must be CLS and/or an SU-800 clicking in.