Students Rise!

Lets vent how expensive this hobby is...

I just purchased AB1600 and its Giant foldable softbox (30x60) and I dont have enough money to buy a stand for it.

Sigh..

but good thing I'm working with a photography company that shoots high school portraits, and I start Wednesday... I'll be making enough money till my school starts in September. And on top of that I'll be training with a professional photographer which I'll just say that I can be quit school and make a living working as an asisstant for him.. but I wont do that cause education is very very important!

F

fivegrand

Cut off a broomstick and mount the light to it.

Duct tape the broomstick to a tripod, chair, barstool, or whatever.

There are no problems, only challenges.

Enjoy your rig :)

...in my first band (a lot of years ago), our mic stand was a floor lamp with the socket removed and a mic clip attached with duct tape ....lots of duct tape! :smile:

Necessity is the mother of invention ....or just looking silly at times. Git'er done!

You'll manage. :) I *make due* with what I have all the time. It makes my perfectionist military hubby crazy. Duct tape is your friend (or gaffers tape).

As one professor told me... "Know your limitations, know your limiters, then figure out how to overcome them. There's always a way."

I have been at a standstill equipment wise lately...school has gotten ridiculously expensive lately

My wife would kill me if I cut off her means of transportation and duct taped it to a chair... :biggrin:

Well, I guess one can take solace in the fact that some product companies, like Adobe, still offer student discounts. The hobbiest is SOL (shucks outta luck)

Did you check out diyphotography.net?

There are many things that you can make yourself instead of buying them. Softboxes, light tents, light stands. Get those $1 clamps at home depot, a whole bunch of wood, a shower curtain, and you're in business. Lights? Those 1000W construction lights. Dirt cheap.

There's a reason that so much equipment is sold: the commercial stuff is easily transportable, foldable, strong (as opposed to duct-taped together), etc. And a set of 2 1000W construction floodlights give a tremendous amount of heat, so you want those studio sessions to be short... But you go a loooong way with $100 if you really need to!

Definitely finish school if you are able to. Photography is a very network oriented business, easily affected by the whims of your social circle and heck even the economy and folks ability to spend cash on "luxury" things. An education though, in the right field, offers the perfect compliment and something to fall back on in the "hard times".

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom