Studio lighting

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by PGB, Feb 1, 2005.

1. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Okay folks. I am putting together a home studio and have been looking at lighting equipment. I"m a bit overwhelmed with what a novice should have. I have muslin backdrop and stands. I need some lighting gear. Not sure what I need though. Seems like everyone has a Kit designed for digital etc.

Any ideas? Will be used for portraiture and product photography. Recommendations on brand etc would also be helpful.

Thanks,

2. I'll bet Steve S can help. He's been doing some awesome studio stuff lately.

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
  4. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Hi Patrick, Hi Gang!

A little late to the party, but my membership application ran into some "issues" while going through the approval committee, but in the end was finally granted :lol: Actually, I've been fighting the flu for the past 5 days, and am just now feeling a little better.
    Patrick, I do have an AB400 setup, but I'm not so sure this kit is what you really want. I use softboxes and reflectors exclusively, and bought my 4 AB400's & SB's separately. I have the 47in Octabox. There's really not much use for that reflector umbrella, and the shoot through isn't as soft as a true softbox. For product photography, softboxe(s) are the only way to go, unless the product is really small, then you can use a lightbox arrangement. Really, 2 strobes, 1 softbox and a good multi sided reflector is all you need to get started. The 2nd strobe you use to either illuminate the backdrop or use as a hairlight, with a grid on it. (I suggest you get the 4-grid kit). Another option to consider, esp if you're short workspace and esp ceiling height is beauty dish with a sock cover. I know Joe Marques has one and speaks highly of it. Well, there's a couple ideas for you to think about. It's back to being sick for me! :oops:

5. Steve, hope you feel better soon. Thanks for helping Patrick, I knew you'd have good input.

6. Re: Hi Patrick, Hi Gang!

Steve - hope you get to feeling better soon. When you're up to it, would you mind maybe getting a picture of your setup and posting it? I'd be very interested in seeing your setup from a wider view... I'm interested in seeing how things are situated.

Thanks!

7. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Re: Hi Patrick, Hi Gang!

Steve,

A little late, but not by much. I mean, you're only 6 days behind the site founders. :D

Welcome to the Cafe :!: :!:

Frank

8. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Light for studio

I have and use 9 Elinchrom lights. B&H has the complete line
    Use air cushioned heavy duty light stands.
    I use JTL.
    Backdrop Stands JTL has one which holds three rolls.
    Again air cushioned.
    Adorama stocks JTL stuff.

Or if you do not have the space and storage.
    You have the Nikon SB800- get one or two more and go wireless.
    I'm experimenting with three SB800's.
    But then it's battery charging chore.

Who said digital photography was not expensive.

Here is the 74x74 Octa-Lite.

http://www.pbase.com/bpetterson/image/16312966

Birger

9. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Resurecting this post! Still need input on what to get for my studio.

Thanks,

10. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

To get started may I post you to somebody fairly near to you.

http://www.alienbees.com

This will get you started.

For backgrounds go to Walmart and pick some muslin and other cloth.
    You can use bedsheets in white or dark blue.
    I also went to to a drapery place and picked up some remnants. [sp]

Birger

11. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Re: Hi Patrick, Hi Gang!

[quote="DavidM
    Steve - hope you get to feeling better soon. When you're up to it, would you mind maybe getting a picture of your setup and posting it? I'd be very interested in seeing your setup from a wider view... I'm interested in seeing how things are situated.

Thanks![/quote]
    Here's a wide shot I took the other day, hope you can get some insight from it, David.

12. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    How much space do you have, Patrick?

I still stand by my earlier recommendations.

13. Hey Steve -

Thanks for posting that pic. That's exactly what I was hoping for.

Camera Left - is that a silver reflector?

Camera Right - softbox? What size?

Most importantly: How long did it take you to train Bunny to be a counterweight for the light stand? :)

14. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    lol, Bunny, the 6lb counterweight!

15. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    So much to think about. I'm really excited about getting something put together. Thanks everyone for your input. I'm sure I'll have more questions later.

Regards,

16. bpetterson

bpetterson Guest

Rich;
    This may be better.
    Elinchrom 74x74 Octa-Lite

[​IMG]

Birger