Real Name
Walter Rowe
I haven't taken a new self portrait for my website in a while, and with the COVID pandemic, I haven't had much portrait work in general. I took some time Sunday to take a few images of myself in the home studio. See the studio setup below the portraits.

WPR-20210425-0039-Instagram.jpg WPR-20210425-0044-Instagram.jpg WPR-20210425-0046-Instagram.jpg WPR-20210425-0047-Instagram.jpg

The Studio Setup

• Nikon Z 7 w/ Nikkor Z 24-70/4S
• MacBook Pro running Capture One Pro 21 USB-C tethered to the Nikon Z 7
• FlashPoint R2 Pro N wireless flash trigger
• FlashPoint AD600 Pro with beauty dish above at 1/64th power
• FlashPoint AD400 Pro through diffuser panel below at 1/128th power
• Studio Dynamics Wellington 6' x 8' painted canvas backdrop

Pzat+zOEQheNWlk8NATJCQ_thumb_c28a.jpg

... and here is a sample video of me using Capture One tethering to capture one of these self portraits ...

Last edited:
Walter, these are really good. Thanks for showing your setup.

I think I like #4 the best.

These are more of a clamshell effect than I'm used to for portraits. I like your lack of shadows. Did you take any with the beauty dish at 10:00 or 2:00 positions for a little more directional light?

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Walter, these are really good. Thanks for showing your setup.

I think I like #4 the best.

These are more of a clamshell effect than I'm used to for portraits. I like your lack of shadows. Did you take any with the beauty dish at 10:00 or 2:00 positions for a little more directional light?
Thanks Mitchell. I did not. I purposely use the clamshell effect for these as that was something new to try. I have other prior portraits with off center lighting such as my profile picture here in the cafe. For that one I used a large softbox high camera right, and a large softbox side rear left at head level.

Real Name
Andy
+1 for #4 (not just because it's the same shirt as your current profile photo!). All four look excellent though.

Thanks for sharing your process. Capture One is key tool for my portrait work as well. In fact it has changed everything about the way I do headshots.

The only comment I would make is:
I do favor dark background portraits, but with a muslin such as you have, perhaps a splash of light on it would add something to these.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom