Studio test shots with Canvas BG

Flew said:
Very nice Joe. I had hoped to set up a little studio in my house but so far haven't been able to find the space for it. Is this background portable (i.e., can it be taken down and stored)? If so, how big is it (both open and stored)?

Nice shots too BTW.

Regards,

Frank
Hi Frank, thanks for the kind words. This bg is absolutely portable because I bought a portable size (you can go from 4x6 to 12x24). :) Mine is 6' wide by 8' tall (it rolls up to store 6 feet long by only 3-4 inches wide). It has a 1"x3" board across the top with a hole that fits on the tip of a single background stand (it balances nicely from the center even though I was doubtful at first). :D It has a wood dowel across the bottom so the canvas is taut when hanging.

The real beauty of canvas is texture from actual brushed on paint and the absence of messy muslin wrinkles.

Hi Joe,

As always, just fantastic. You must have a hard time figuring out which one to frame (or you have a lot of frames in your house!).

How do you like the FM plugin and do you have one of these images in a "before" stage? I'd enjoy seeing what the image looked like before the plugin was applied (if you're so inclined of course).

_/oe

Missed these before,

but wanted to add my accolades to the others'. You caught some excellent moments there, Joe. Best I've seen from the boy. What did you do, promise him a Ferrari when he got old enough to drive? ;) Which styly is the particular canvas? It's a great color!

Joe_Lorenzini said:
Hi Joe,

As always, just fantastic. You must have a hard time figuring out which one to frame (or you have a lot of frames in your house!).

How do you like the FM plugin and do you have one of these images in a "before" stage? I'd enjoy seeing what the image looked like before the plugin was applied (if you're so inclined of course).

_/oe
Hi Joe,

Thanks very much for the kind words. I'm a BIG fan of Velvia Vision. It's ideal for landscapes - especially if you enjoy the saturated look of Velvia (which I loved). It's also a quick method for warming a portrait that is more effective than simply boosting saturation (I'm not sure what it does but it protects against a blown red channel in most cases and doesn't warm the whole image which is appropriate considering warm blues and grays look silly).

Here's a comparison shot I have on pbase - the image on the right is enhanced with Velvia Vision.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Re: Missed these before,

Steve S said:
but wanted to add my accolades to the others'. You caught some excellent moments there, Joe. Best I've seen from the boy. What did you do, promise him a Ferrari when he got old enough to drive? ;) Which styly is the particular canvas? It's a great color!
Thanks very much Steve. I must say that my behavior was the big change. I usually get impatient with his fake smile but this time I made it "fun and breezy" and it worked. Imagine that, I'm a monkey who could learn and it didn't even cost me a Ferrari. :D

The canvas is called "Dutch Master" and is used by a fairly famous portrait shooter - Tim Kelly. I figure having his canvas and a small fraction of his talent is a pretty good combination. :)

JAM

Very nice warm background. It compliments and doesn't distract at all. My guess is that he's about 4 - 5 feet from the background and you've lit for - oh - f/5.6 or so??

JAM said:
Very nice warm background. It compliments and doesn't distract at all. My guess is that he's about 4 - 5 feet from the background and you've lit for - oh - f/5.6 or so??
Thanks John. He's standing about 3 feet away and it's lit with spill from the main light (only a 1 light shot at f10).

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom