Study abroad #2: Ely Cathedral

Real Name
Ross
Ely is only about a 15-minute train ride from Cambridge so some friends and I went over last weekend to look around. It boasts one of the only remaining homes of Oliver Cromwell (it has been turned into a museum that is fine) and an incredible cathedral. The Ely Cathedral is one of the most impressively decorated buildings I have ever been in. The oldest parts of it date to 1083, it is over 500 feet long, and it seemed that nearly every surface was ornately decorated in some way (photos will never fully capture it but I gave it a shot).

1. A perspective shot that shows the entire length of the church. You can see some signs of the different phases of construction.
DSC_0767-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. The area above the door that visitors normally enter through.
DSC_0763-X3.jpg

3. The roof and area around the lantern tower.
DSC_0789-X3.jpg

4. A close of the top of the organ.
DSC_0813-X3.jpg

5. A close up of some of the decorations in the presbytery area.
DSC_0838-X3.jpg

6 Stained glass above the altar.
DSC_0822-X3.jpg

Thanks for looking and again please don't hesitate to give thoughts on compositions or exposures. And, I'm going to Edinburgh this weekend so I would love suggestions on things to do or good photography locations!

These are all very nice. I'll be sure to show this thread to a good friend who stayed in Ely twice in the last five years to take part in an annual contradance event and to do sightseeing. One of her highlights was hearing a performance of Handel's Messiah by the local orchestra and chorus that took place in Ely Cathedral.

Another excellent set, Ross. I would enjoy seeing an overall view of the interior which gives a sense of the scale of the place, like #4 in your Smugmug Ely gallery if you have a way to correct the distortion.

As for Edinburgh, you might get some ideas from our gallery.

NCV

Real Name
Nigel
That Lantern roof is fantastic.

Thanks for a lovely set. Did you use a tripod?

Excellent!
My mother was from a small town not far from Ely, Saffron Walden, and as a kid (3-5) I remember spending hours lying on the floor of the cathedral looking at the ceiling :rolleyes:

We'll be there this fall to visit family and places.

Real Name
Ross
These are all very nice. I'll be sure to show this thread to a good friend who stayed in Ely twice in the last five years to take part in an annual contradance event and to do sightseeing. One of her highlights was hearing a performance of Handel's Messiah by the local orchestra and chorus that took place in Ely Cathedral.
Wow, that sounds incredible! I'm hoping to return for Easter, hopefully it comes together.

Real Name
Ross
That Lantern roof is fantastic.

Thanks for a lovely set. Did you use a tripod?
Thank you, the lantern area was one of my favorite parts! No, I just handheld them. It was relatively bright inside because we were there when the sun was shining in at a good angle to brighten up the inside. The iso for most of the shots was in the 1000-1600 range with 1/40 or 1/50 shutter speed plus the great IBS of the Z6.

Real Name
Ross
Excellent!
My mother was from a small town not far from Ely, Saffron Walden, and as a kid (3-5) I remember spending hours lying on the floor of the cathedral looking at the ceiling :rolleyes:

We'll be there this fall to visit family and places.
Thank you and wow, I'm sure it made quite an impression as a child. Any favorite spots nearby that I should give a look?

Real Name
Ross
Another excellent set, Ross. I would enjoy seeing an overall view of the interior which gives a sense of the scale of the place, like #4 in your Smugmug Ely gallery if you have a way to correct the distortion.

As for Edinburgh, you might get some ideas from our gallery.
Thanks, Pa! I'll look back through and see if I have any or can make a smaller panorama to show the inside scale better. And great, I'll definitely take a look at y'alls gallery.

Real Name
Carl
Another beautifully detailed and well exposed series! I'd love to visit! If you could get away with it and not get trodden upon, Nick's trick sounds interesting!? Of course, at his and my ages, we'd need assistance to get back up again!

Real Name
Ross
Another beautifully detailed and well exposed series! I'd love to visit! If you could get away with it and not get trodden upon, Nick's trick sounds interesting!? Of course, at his and my ages, we'd need assistance to get back up again!
Thank You! Haha if I get back there I might have to give it a try.

Latest threads

Top Bottom