Study Abroad #3: Edinburgh

Real Name
Ross
Two of my friends and I made it up to Edinburgh last weekend and had a great time. While there we hiked Arthurs Seat, explored the royal mile (a 1 mile stretch of road from the Palace of Holyroodhouse at one end and the Castle at the other), celebrated Burns Day (a Scottish national holiday to remember the poet Robert Burns, traditionally celebrated by eating haggis and drinking whiskey), explored the castle and did a whiskey tasting. The city is beautiful and it felt like we barely scratched the surface of things to do, but it was a great trip.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. St. Giles Cathedral (a major site in Scottish history) and some of the Royal Mile.

2. A bagpiper on the Royal Mile near our hostel. One of the small things I loved about the city was hearing a bagpiper somewhere nearby almost anytime we were outside during the day.

3. I'm an economics major so I have to include a snapshot of the Adam Smith statue.

4. The Royal Mile as seen from Arthurs seat. The palace is the big older building to the far right, and the road leads uphill to the castle near the dark spire on the left side.

5. A view of the castle from Salisbury Crags (near Arturs Seat).

6. Looking back towards Arthurs Seat from above Salisbury Crags (you can make out a few people on the top of the peak.

7. Looking up the walls of the castle.

Thanks for looking and as always please let me know if you have any suggestions or critiques! And if anyone is planning to go, let me know. We found a couple of good restaurants and a pub that has really good live folk music most nights.

Very enjoyable, Ross. Looks like the Edinburgh we remember from our brief visit five years ago. We didn't get to Arthur's Seat, unfortunately. Did you climb the Sir Walter Scott tower?

Real Name
Ross
Great series. Whiskey tasting, eh, like grandfather, like grand son! Love the shots of the Castle (#5 and 6), it's about all I remember from the little time there (I think).
Thanks Nick!
These are outstanding images!
Thank you!
Very enjoyable, Ross. Looks like the Edinburgh we remember from our brief visit five years ago. We didn't get to Arthur's Seat, unfortunately. Did you climb the Sir Walter Scott tower?
Thanks! No, unfortunately, we didn't have time to get over to that side of the city.

kilofoxtrott

European Ambassador
Real Name
Klaus
Thank you Ross for showing me this part of the world.

I've put Scotland on my bucket list.

Kind regards
Klaus

Excellent results from around a great city (only don't tell any Scots I said that). I've lost count of the number of times I've been there but I've never done the walkabout with a camera like this. Time I did, so you have stimulated another café member. By the way, and I'm surprised no Scot has come on to correct you, but whiskey is an Irish drink. In Edinburgh you will have taken whisky. Both can be very nice indeed, as can your own from the US, whichever way you spell it.

Real Name
Ross
Thank you all for the nice replies! Sorry I've been a bit busy with some school work (I guess I have to do it if I'm going to say I'm "studying" abroad) and another trip with pictures to follow soon hopefully. A couple of people said they hope to go to Scotland. If you go, be sure to check out the Ensign Ewart pub, it had the folk music that I mentioned.

Thank you Ross for showing me this part of the world.

I've put Scotland on my bucket list.

Kind regards
Klaus
Thank you and you should definitely try to see it, I loved it and one of my friends said it was the best place he's ever visited!
Excellent results from around a great city (only don't tell any Scots I said that). I've lost count of the number of times I've been there but I've never done the walkabout with a camera like this. Time I did, so you have stimulated another café member. By the way, and I'm surprised no Scot has come on to correct you, but whiskey is an Irish drink. In Edinburgh you will have taken whisky. Both can be very nice indeed, as can your own from the US, whichever way you spell it.
Thank you! It's a fun place to photograph and I hope you'll share what you get. Haha I wondered about the difference but never paid much attention to it, thanks for the correction, I'll be heading to Ireland at some point so I'll have to remember it there!
So how did you like the Haggis?! These photos are wonderfully done, and give me a sense of being right there with you! Great job!
Thank you that's a huge compliment! I thought it was pretty good. I don't know that I would order it instead of ground beef or go out of my way to have it but it was good, especially with mashed potatoes.
All Scottish food is based on a dare..;)
Haha, my friends and I came to the same conclusion by the end of the trip!
Nice photos of the country of my birth. WhiskEy is Irish. Whisky is Scottish. I agree with the comment about Scottish food....:)
Thank you, haha and even if it is based on a dare it's pretty good!
Another superb set of images! I've never been to Scotland. Now I want to go!
Thanks! I have only seen in Edinburgh so I guess I can't vouch for the whole country but what I saw makes me want to see more!

Last edited:
Real Name
Bill Walderman
I was in Edinburgh briefly in 1986 with my friend Tom. On a Saturday afternoon, while waiting for the night train back to London, we chanced to stop in to a pub for a pint, but it was not the Ensign Ewart. It was known as "The Surgeons Arms", and it was located near the Royal College of Surgeons. The Surgeons Arms was dark and gloomy and seemed to have been established in a decommissioned operating theater, with tiered seats. One young man was slumped over the counter in a stupor, rising only to stumble precariously off to the lavatory and then returning to slump back into oblivion. Other patrons were in similarly advanced states of inebriation, and it was only mid-afternoon. The barman helpfully suggested that we might wish to take our leave before long, as, he told us, it got pretty rough in there as the evening wore on. We took his advice.

Now Tom, a now retired police officer, grew up in the projects in East Boston near Maverick Square -- if you know Boston, that will resonate -- and he and I were in the Army together, so we are no strangers to strong drink, occasionally even to excess. But the Surgeons Arms in Edinburgh was an experience that will stay with us for the rest of our days.

Inspiring bold John Barleycorn,
What perils thou canst make us scorn.
With tipenny we'll fear nae evil;
With usquebaugh we'll face the Devil!

Last edited:
Real Name
Ross
I was in Edinburgh briefly in 1986 with my friend Tom. On a Saturday afternoon, while waiting for the night train back to London, we chanced to stop in to a pub for a pint, but it was not the Ensign Ewart. It was known as "The Surgeons Arms", and it was located near the Royal College of Surgeons. The Surgeons Arms was dark and gloomy and seemed to have been established in a decommissioned operating theater, with tiered seats. One young man was slumped over the counter in a stupor, rising only to stumble precariously off to the lavatory and then returning to slump back into oblivion. Other patrons were in similarly advanced states of inebriation, and it was only mid-afternoon. The barman helpfully suggested that we might wish to take our leave before long, as, he told us, it got pretty rough in there as the evening wore on. We took his advice.

Now Tom, a now retired police officer, grew up in the projects in East Boston near Maverick Square -- if you know Boston, that will resonate -- and he and I were in the Army together, so we are no strangers to strong drink, occasionally to even excess. But the Surgeons Arms in Edinburgh was an experience that will stay with us for the rest of our days.

Inspiring bold John Barleycorn,
What perils thou canst make us scorn.
With tipenny we'll fear nae evil;
With usquebaugh we'll face the Devil!
Wow, haha we didn't get anywhere quite that authentic.
Very nice series.
Thanks!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom