Study Abroad #5: Nice

Real Name
Ross
The weekend of February 7-9, though it ended up being the 11th, I went to Nice, France with some friends. It was a great trip and we had an awesome time.
DSC_1716-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. Nothing against the U.K., but one of the things I loved the whole time we were there was all of the colors in the buildings as well as general brightness, and the smiling people, that was really refreshing after the bland (but beautiful) buildings in Cambridge. This is a side street near where we stayed.
DSC_1744-X3.jpg

2. We spent some of the first days on the beach which was really nice, but the stony shore took some getting used to.

The next day we took a day trip to Monaco which was beautiful as well, and it was fun to see all of the nice cars and yachts while we searched for cheap food for lunch.
DSC_1899-X3.jpg

3. The harbor and yachts with some of the town in the backdrop.
DSC_1995-X3.jpg

4. And we got a great sunset to cap off the day in Monaco.

The next morning (Sunday) we woke up to watch the sunrise and were not disappointed.
DSC_2025-X3.jpg

5. The moon setting over the Promenade des Anglais
DSC_2147-Pano-X3.jpg

6. A wider panorama of the town as the sun started to come up.

We spent Sunday on the beach, took a brief dip in the water (it was very chilly), and explored the town some more ahead of our flight which was supposed to lease on Sunday night. However, Storm Ciara had other plans. Our Sunday night flight was canceled right after we got through security, so we stood in line for five hours to get a hotel and rebooking for Monday morning. Then, our flight on Monday morning also got canceled. So, we decided to stop trying with planes because they were projecting high winds in London for Monday and Tuesday, and took a cross country train to Paris then the Eurostar over to London and got back on Tuesday morning. This was a pain and resulted in a lot of time on trains, but there was an upside.
DSC_2322-X3.jpg

7. We got to see the Eiffel Tower on Sunday night which was a great consolation prize. It definitely lifted our spirits, and I was surprised by how large it was. I'm not sure why, but I pictured it being a bit smaller.
DSC_2378-X3.jpg

8. We got there around 12:15 and the lights turn off at 1:00, but before they turn off, the lights switch to these flashing ones and flash for about five minutes which was unexpected and fun to watch.
So, while the ending was a headache, overall it was a great trip and I certainly saw a lot of France.

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Another wonderful set of images! Glad you are getting a chance to do a little sightseeing during your studies!

Another excellent set, Ross. I meant to warn you about the stony beach in Nice. Excellent sunrise shot with the moon set.

Good to get a complete rundown on you weekend adventure.

Real Name
Ross
Another wonderful set of images! Glad you are getting a chance to do a little sightseeing during your studies!
Thank you! Yea, I only have classes two days a week because most classes over here are more reading and essay based which gives a lot of time to play with for trips.
C'est bon! This sounds like a really neat trip, even if the ending was a bit more drawn-out than you had expected and it took you longer to get back to the UK. Really nice photos!
Thank you! It was a great trip and we definitely tried to make the most of the changes in plans.
Nicely done. I love the transition in tones and shades in the first one. Beautiful indeed.
Thanks, Palouse! It was a great change of pace and a beautiful place for sure.
Another excellent set, Ross. I meant to warn you about the stony beach in Nice. Excellent sunrise shot with the moon set.

Good to get a complete rundown on you weekend adventure.
Thanks, Pa! That moonset shot is one of my favorites from the weekend. Yea, I saw the rocks in the picture you sent and read it somewhere before we went so it wasn't a complete surprise. We layed on our jackets which was actually pretty nice, almost like a massage of some sort. And, I still definitely prefer sand beaches, but it was nice to not have to worry about sand getting everywhere.

Our Sunday night flight was canceled right after we got through security, so we stood in line for five hours to get a hotel and rebooking for Saturday morning. Then, our flight on Saturday morning also got canceled. So, we decided to stop trying with planes because they were projecting high winds in London for Monday and Tuesday, and took a cross country train to Paris then the Eurostar over to London and got back on Tuesday morning.

Didn't you mean Monday morning?

Real Name
Ross
Where are you off to this weekend? Catching up on your studies?
He may not want to claim me, but indeed I am. That is where my Cafe moniker originated.
Didn't you mean Monday morning?
Yea I'm staying around Cambridge catching up/getting a little ahead on some work and applying to some things for this summer mostly. Also hoping to catch up on pictures from last week, hopefully I'll post some shots from Sweeden this weekend. I'll probably go to a museum because there's supposed to be a few good ones here or walk around the colleges some if it's nice. Haha I definitely claim you and thanks, good catch!

Real Name
Ross
I sure do hope you spend a lot of time there so I can continue enjoying such nice series of photos. Well done all around!
Thank you! I don't think I'll be back to Nice this trip but I have travel lined up for most of the weekends until the end of my program in early May.
Very nice set. I like your eye for composition. especially in #3, 4 and 5.
Thank you! Those were definitely some of my favorites, I really liked the way the draw with bridges over it pulls the eye in number 3.
Are you his granddad?! Wonderful!
Haha yep, I'm the oldest grandkid and called him Pa when I was first starting to talk because I couldn't say Grandpa, and it's stuck since then. He's the one who got me interested in photography and he's taught me a ton over the last few years!

Latest threads

Top Bottom