Study Abroad #6: Stockholm

Real Name
Ross
The weekend of Valentine's day my friends and I went to Stockholm, Sweden. It was a lot of fun and it was really cool to visit a Nordic country, it wasn't as different as we thought it might be.
Greta Thunberg happened to be holding a school walkout and rally focussed on climate change on the day we arrived, so the first thing we did was attend that. It was interesting and fun to go to, but all in Swedish so we didn't get much substance out of it.
DSC_2417-X3.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1. Some of the attendees.
DSC_2425-X3.jpg

2. Greta speaking.
DSC_2442-X3.jpg

3. The crowd's reaction to her speech. I'm not sure what she said, but they loved it.
DSC_2469-X3.jpg

4. A sticker-covered bridge overlooking old town from an adjacent island.
DSC_2586-X3.jpg

5. This ship was the most powerful warship in the baltic at the time of its construction(1628), but was too narrow and sank in on the day it was launched, right in front of the crowd that gathered to watch it leave. It was then preserved in the brackish water around Stockholm and was raised, then painstakingly preserved, and is now on display in the Vasa museum, one of Stockholm's most famous museums. The detail which remains due to the way it was preserved by the calm brackish water it sank in is incredible and the museum is really interesting.
DSC_2617-X3.jpg

6. The old town as seen from the ferry. We stayed on this island which contains the oldest buildings in the city as well as some of the government and royal buildings.
DSC_2653-Pano-X3.jpg

7. A view of an island adjacent to the old town. The brick building on the right is the Stockholm City Hall which holds the annual Nobel Banquet.
DSC_2692-X3.jpg

8. The Fotografistika photography museum is a world-class photography museum in Stockholm that I went to while my friends went to the Abba museum. It had some really interesting exhibitions, and some that weren't necessarily my taste but that's how it goes with art museums I guess. For anyone interested in looking them up, the ones I enjoyed were:

Erik Johnson "Places Beyond." He creates incredible compilation images that take many months to complete. They involve lots of photoshop and are pretty opposed to the idea of using photography to capture one "decisive moment" such as the work of Cartier-Bresson. However, they are beautiful works of art.

"Nordic Life" which was founded by Terje Rakke and had tons of interesting pictures from nordic areas.

Pennti Sammallahti's "Distant Land" which is made up of photos from around the world depicting everyday life. Many first appear more like snapshots than world-class photographs, but upon further inspection, they are beautifully composed glimpses into that corner of the world.

Stockholm was a ton of fun. It's a beautiful city with loads of interesting history and world-class museums. And, the food is pretty good too. We got some amazing Swedish meatballs, and some great salmon too. As always thanks for looking and please don't hesitate if you have critiques or suggestions for better photography!

Last edited:
Another very interesting set, Ross. Thanks for the detailed narrative and the information about Fotografiska which I had not heard of. Too bad so few of the photographs are available online.

Real Name
Ross
Another very interesting set, Ross. Thanks for the detailed narrative and the information about Fotografiska which I had not heard of. Too bad so few of the photographs are available online.
Sweden is the one Nordic/Scandinavian country I have yet to visit. Great photos—not the usual travel fare, and great write-ups.
Thank you both! Palouse, it's definitely worth visiting I really enjoyed it and I hear it's even better in the summer.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom