Study Abroad in Cambridge #1

Real Name
Ross
I am a college sophomore in the U.S. but am spending the spring semester of this year in Cambridge as part of a study abroad program! I arrived on January 8th and will be here until early May. It has been incredible so far and I have loved exploring Cambridge (and classes have been good too). These are some shots from a walking tour we took as well as one evening walking around shooting in my first week and a half here. Hope to have more soon!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

A clock at Pembroke College.

The Kings College Chapel and courtyard.

One of my favorite streets near Trinity College.

A house that caught my eye near Parkers Piece.

Masonry above the entrance to Kings College.
Thanks for looking! If you have any tips on composition or other critiques please let me know. I've normally done broader landscape shots so the photography opportunities here are a bit different from what I'm used to, at least in the city, so I'd love to learn from your tips. Additionally, please let me know if you have favorite photography spots around the UK or Western Europe!

Great start. Like you, I am a landscape shooter, and when I visit towns with lots of amazing and old architecture I feel overwhelmed in the beginning. Get a feel for scale, and learning to leave space (typically on the top/bottom of images) so you can adjust for leaning buildings. Go with your gut/heart :D

My dad was there in the early 1950s.

Well done, Ross, I'm enjoying these. I particularly like the third one, but the fourth one doesn't have much to catch my interest.

I looked at your Smugmug gallery and saw several that I thought deserved to be displayed here.

I would encourage you to number your photos in a thread like this to make it easier for folks to comment on.

Looks like you're getting some good use out of that 24-120. I'm glad you are because it has gotten a bit too heavy for your old grandpa to lug around.:(

Real Name
Ross
nice pics

my daughter did 2 years there on her PhD
Great start. Like you, I am a landscape shooter, and when I visit towns with lots of amazing and old architecture I feel overwhelmed in the beginning. Get a feel for scale, and learning to leave space (typically on the top/bottom of images) so you can adjust for leaning buildings. Go with your gut/heart :D

My dad was there in the early 1950s.
Great images. It is a beautiful area. My son was there for a year getting his phd in history.
Enjoy and take advantage of the opportunities.
Gary
Wonderful photos, Ross!!! Congrats on achieving such a wonderful experience abroad! Keep the images coming!
Thanks all for the kind comments and suggestions!

Real Name
Ross
Well done, Ross, I'm enjoying these. I particularly like the third one, but the fourth one doesn't have much to catch my interest.

I looked at your Smugmug gallery and saw several that I thought deserved to be displayed here.

I would encourage you to number your photos in a thread like this to make it easier for folks to comment on.

Looks like you're getting some good use out of that 24-120. I'm glad you are because it has gotten a bit too heavy for your old grandpa to lug around.:(
Thanks and I'll number them on the next, and yea the fourth was one I wasn't sure about and thought I would get some comments on. Haha thanks again for letting me borrow it, I've really liked the range it offers and the weight does get a bit heavy but it's not bad with my capture pro clip on the backpack.

Real Name
Ross
What are you studying at Cambridge? How long will you be there?
Two economics courses, two political economy courses, and one on global trade and commerce studies. I am an economics and politics & international affairs double major and this program is built around the two subjects which is a big part of why I picked it. The classes end in late April but I am not booked to return until early May so I have about 10 days for travel after classes end.
Looking forward to seeing more.
Thank you, hopefully I'll have some after this weekend!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom