Stumbled onto a Beauty Pageant last night ;) (long!)

Discussion in 'People' started by Steve S, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Quite by accident, as I was just arriving at my lake cottage, my neighbor & good friend of 20 yrs was getting in his car to go somewhere. When I asked where, he told me his daughter was participating in a beauty pageant over in the next town. Soooo, not wanting to miss such a great photo op & learning experience :twisted: I jumped into the car with him, armed only with my D2X/70-200VR and Perfect Portrait Flash rig from RRS.
    Well, I learned a lot last night. For one thing that aforementioned rig weighs a TON, when held for 2 1/2 hrs! Also learned the lighting in a H.S. Gym is horrendous, getting right right in-cam WB w/o a grey card or Expodisc is a b**ch, and you can NEVER have enough flash batteries with you. My only set pooped out about 1/2 way through the shoot, and took an eternity to recharge themselves! Some of the shots had fill flash, some didn't. Focus locks were tough at times, and I had a lot of OOF shots. So was finding a decent shooting position.
    It was a great learning experience, and in the end, offered to burn a copy of all the participants onto CD, and mail it to the chairwoman of the event. She can then forward them to the individual participants. All comments most welcomed.
    So, on with the show!
    The winning Mermaid Festival Queen for 2005:
    The 4 finalists:
    The swimsuit competition:
    Evening Gowns:
    Neighbor's Daughter:
    A participant in a dress I liked ;)
    Another:
    "Cutie" King & Queen 2004:

2. Ya sure Steve, you found this by accident. That is after driving 100 miles and beating up some old man so you could get his parking space. :lol: :lol: I too have the RRS bracket and it does add some heft to the camera and flash. You gotta love the way it works however. I agree that using a flash in poorly lighted gymnasiums are a challenge at any time and most of us can use the practice. Cute girls and some nice images of them is your reward. Thanks for sharing your story and your images.

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Looks like your off to a nice stay at the lake Steve. :D

4. What's a swim suit contest without two-piece bikinis? I'd be thoroughly upset! :p

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    Thanks guys it was fun, & Jonathon...

If you saw where this took place, it was in a tiny town of only about 10k ppl, you'd know why the conservative swimsuits! :wink:

6. Nice shots Steve!! :D :D :D