1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Stunned by a sigma!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by lowlight_junkie, Mar 28, 2007.

1. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    I just bought a mint, never used sigma 300mm F4 APO
    Its an old screwdrive lens with a tripod mount and it is as sharp as my old 300 Nikon (non afs) F4 with a lovely creamy Bokeh.
    This is shot wide open handheld with flash, no sharpening as in a lens test post it would be missleading, I have however cropped and resized it
    [​IMG]

I just love this lens!

2. Handheld, mimimal processing and this looks like it is a great peice of glass Chris!

3. Hi is it the APO macro one as that is a very very good lens, if you can find them there is a pair of converters that will autofocus my friend has both the 1.4 and two times they are exactly the same as the HSM ones but with the added screwdriver part.

Phillip.

4. lowlight_junkie

lowlight_junkie

Nov 28, 2005
    Hi dave, Yes it certainly is, here is a genuine 100% at f:5 no PP whatsoever:
    [​IMG]
    Missed the focus slightly but you can get the point.
    Philip it is the APO macro one yes, quite a solid lens, nice close focus and limiter and it is quite literally mint and unused!
    What a find!

5. Cool they do a 400 f5.6 to if you can find one very very good it is too.

Phillip.

:smile: :biggrin:

6. Now thats good to know and think of the $$$$$$ saved. May be I'll start looking into one of these.

7. JamesMor

JamesMor

Jun 28, 2005
    New York
    I had the 400 F5.6 that I could not get to function well with my Canon. You Nikon fellows might not have the same issues...it was a nice, small lens - and affordable as well.

James

8. Great shot love the detail of the feathers. I'm a big fan of Sigma I have 2 the 50-500, a compromise but for the money I'm very happy, got some good bird shots but needs good light.
    The 180 macro is a different animal all together I love that lens the working distance is great for skittish or painful things and it is unbelievable sharp.
    Rich

9. Hey Chris -

I agree that you found a fine lens - wide open, w/o sharpening that is a very nice capture (and not an easy one!).

I have a couple of Sigma lenses - the 70-200mm f/2.8 HSM and the 30 mm f/1.4 - and they are more than "acceptable" for my purposes. I'm *very* satisfied with both of them - and their prices vs. the Nikon alternatives - LOL.

And, as you said, I use the Sigma 2x TC on my zoom without any hesitation or reservation whatsoever.

Thanks for sharing these.

Eric

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.