stupid Mac question...removing unwanted programs

I've been a PC user far too long and I've been using my new Mac for only about 2 weeks. Please pardon the stupid questions, I promise I'll get better... If I had to remove a program on my PC, I actually had to "un-install" it... with the Mac is it as simple as putting the program folder in the "trash" or do I need to do something else?

Mike, if you have an un-install option for the software, it's best to do that. There are many files for each program in different "library" folders, and while most of those folders won't cause you any problems, it is nice to clean house so to speak and rid yourself of unneeded files.

Most of the time. If the application had an installer then you would use its uninstaller, but that is the minority.

Other than the application itself you can also trash any support files if you want, although not necessary. If there are any they will be in ~/Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Preferences.

David

Thanks guys,.... next stupid ???... where do I find the uninstaller program...will it obvious?? I want un-install both Lightroom and Aperture trial versions, where would I find the uninstaller for each. Thanks again, Mike

Lightroom is a drag installed application. Just delete the Lightroom file in your Applications folder.

It is actually unusual for a Mac application to require anything more than that. For applications that do, just run the installer that originally installed it. There should be an option to uninstall from there.

One of the best Un-installers that I ahve used is called CleanApp. I get rid of the plist, apllication, and other residue left from the original install. Try it out.

Be sure to use the uninstaller for the CS3 beta prior to installing the release version. Dragging to the trash in this instance will cause BIG issues!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom