Stupid meter question

Discussion in 'Film Forum' started by Beezle, Jul 9, 2007.

1. So I have one of those Sekonic L-358 meters.

I've used it for flash stuff by holding it where the subject is (or will be), with the white dome thing on there and that seems to work pretty well.

But can this meter be used in the opposite way? That is, I'm standing where the camera is/will be and want to meter that subject over that way. The scene. Or would I need a different meter to do that?

I mean different that using a DSLR, which is how I would currently do that. And that works, but it's a chore lugging around a DSLR just to use as a meter. :rolleyes:

2. With the diffuser dome in the up position you can take a reflected reading (aim it at your subject). With the diffuser dome retracted you can take an incident reading (standing by your subject and aimed back at the camera).

3. What about the flat diffuser? That comes with it.

4. My bad Ed, use the flat diffuser for reflected readings, the round diffuser up for incident. Sorry about that.

5. Now if I could just find the blasted thing. The flat diffuser.

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Do you need the flat diffuser? I don't know, I don't have a sekonic, but the Gossen I do have uses no diffuser in reflected mode.

7. I think you do. It has a 54ยบ angle of measurement. You can buy narrower angle spot attachments for that meter, also!

8. Found it. It's just a flat lens that limits the field of view to 54 degrees.

Tried it and it agrees with the DSLRs here better than the dome does.

This Sekonic has two basic modes, flash and ambient. Then within that Tv, Av, EV and some other thing or other.

I think I like that $500 Sekonic with the lens and spot meter, but that's the better part of my scanner budget.

9. Exactly!

10. cellison

cellison

Mar 18, 2006
    Canada
    I'm using the Sekonic L-398A STUDIO DELUXE III. It has no batteries just like the Leica M3 so thats a good thing but it's not very good in low light especially compared to my Gossen Lunasix 3. Too bad batteries for the Lunasix are a PITA to get. I know that Wein make some... I should get some I guess.

11. I like that photocell based meter. Smaller than the one I have too.

12. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    I got those Wein zinc-air cells last weekend and put them in my Luna-pro (and OM1, but read further.) They are just the right size. The first thing you need to do is peel off piece of green :)rolleyes:) plastic, exposing two tiny holes, presumably to let the air in. The instructions say to peel the plastic half an hour before use. I put them in right away, so I could monitor the voltage increase.

It took more like an hour for the battery check needle to reach the high side of the red mark. But when it did, it was steady. One caveat: one of the three cells did not come up to full voltage, and there was white stuff plugging the holes. I suspect the plastic had leaked air, and the cell was spent. I plan on sending it back to the manufacturer, as the store I bought them from does not take batteries back (so I won't even ask them to.)

So far, the meter has worked well. I'm comparing it to the meter in my D100 and it seems to be the same within one f-stop, which is fine. At six bucks, they are a bit cheaper from Adorama, but I prefer to buy local. Heck, since I'm so loyal, I think I will ask them about exchanging the bad one for me.

13. ffb2t

ffb2t

Jan 16, 2006
    CA
    Do it the old fashioned way and just guess. :eek: Much more fun shooting w/o a meter anyway. On a more serious note how are you measuring flash with the 358? Also, while the reflective metering will match your dslr more closely, I would think that you would get a better reading in incident.

You can always look at the digisix or digiflash. Probably still blow your scanner budget, but they are small and are supposedly very good (I personally went with the L358, but usually leave it at home and just guess my exposure (with an M3 that is)). I actually find my pictures improved for it (that may be just a quirk in my nature though).

14. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    hmm, i seem to remember reading on the package the white stuff being normal part of the process, and can be wiped away with no harm done. most cameras though have a little metallic label on the inside of the battery compartment that has to be taken off before one of the Weins will work...

15. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Yes, I did wipe it off per the instructions. It seems to be inside the holes. And I cycled this battery in each position in the Gossen, because it (the meter) has a voltage meter built in. The battery is putting out negligible voltage.

Both of the good batteries power both the camera and the meter fine.

It stands to reason that the battery would be dead if air had leaked into it. The reaction of zinc with moist air will run to completion, even if the battery in not in a circuit. See the Wikipedia article for more on the chemistry.