Stupid monitor-card question time

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Sep 9, 2005.

1. I have the Matrox Parhelia card and just installed a Viewsonic VP211b. The drivers installed okay but I cannot get XP to recognize 1600x1200 resolution on the Viewsonic. The monitor keep telling me "please increase the resolution to 1600 x 1200 for best performance."

"I know, I know" I yell back at the monitor. "How the #$%#@ do I do it?" The user guides are next to useless.

Any help? Thanks :confused:

Rich

2. Carol Steele

Carol Steele Guest

Via the display properties page

I presume you have tried using the Display Properties palette to try this Rich?? Right click on your desktop, choose 'Properties' and click on the tabbed header 'Settings'. You should be able to alter the monitors resolution from there.

[​IMG]

3. Yes, that was the first thing I did. The highest setting is 1280x1024; it doesn't go higher...then....

I found a "Monitor monitor" application on the Matox site and got the settings to show 1600x1200. Now it crashes every time I select 1600x1200.

Back to work. Thanks for taking the time to offer to help.

Rich

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Gee, Rich, that looks like a pretty fancy card. Actually I am looking for a new video card (need PCI express). So far the PCI express cards I've looked at need a 420 watt power supply :frown: mine is only 300. I want something that can run two monitors (dvi) so I am looking for recommendations. Do you have any recommendations on a power supply and card? I am certainly interested in your experiences with this card (especially making it work with your monitor!) and wondering which way to go.

Thanks, Virginia
    aka beaucamera

6. The Parhelia is a great card! I've been running two 19" monitors for months. It makes all the difference in the world to put those zillions of menus and windows on a second monitor and have an entire enpty screen for the image. I use the DVI connections on the monitors to ensure the best performance.

Three hundred watts is way too low for today's PCs though. Stick with a known power supply manufacturer, like Antec, for example. I wouldn't skimp on a power supply ever. However that shouldn't have any connection with the energy monitors use; and I don't think a card like the Parhelia consumes anywhere near the energy of one of those megablaster super gaming video cards.

Rich

7. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Have you downloaded the most up-to-date driver for your card? And for the Viewsonic? If not try that. There may have been a corrupted driver file, or it may have not installed properly.

And, tThere's always the possibility that that monitor's driver and the card's driver are incompatible......

A call to Tech Support for either or both might be the only "answer" so have plenty of food and water handy when you call, since you may be on hold for a few days!

8. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I have the new parahelia apv-e(pci express version) and it is the perfect replacement for the matrox parahelia 256 agp version that I had in my machine before I upgraded. Which reminds me I need to put that card up on the big auction site.
    Larry

9. Rich, just a suggestion - have you tried adjusting your screen refresh rate under the settings/advanced/monitor tab?

Its possible your setting is too high for your LCD and it cant display at the level you want - you may need to move it lower...

Another suggestion is if this doesnt work it to try using the analog connection and see if the problem is also present.

Doug

10. Thank you. LCDs (I think all) have a 60 hz refresh rate, and mine are set at 60hz. The problem is (as Illiah has thoughtfully pointed out) a known Matrox Parhelia problem...not being able to get over 1280x1024. You need a downloadable "Monitor Manager" utility which, strangely, will not run if you try to install it more than once (then you have to uninstall, delete directories and clean out the registry manually). After it runs, it will only run a few times before it will no longer work; then you have to completely remove it..including manually cleaning out the registry.

Their web site is not very helpful. If anyone makes any negative remark or even a small complaint the moderator/helper basicaly tells them to buzz off.

I wish I were using a MAC. I've been struggling with Microsoft drivers since 1981 now.

More later. I'm going to disconnect the 19" Sony, and uninstall the 21" Viewsonic again, uninstall monitor manager, reinstall the Viewsonic, then the Sony, then monitor manager AGAIN and see if I can get this lashup to work. Where is Ron Reznick when you need him!?!?!?!

Oh, if you use Neat Image with Photoshop and have a Parhelia the computer will lock up if you call NI from Filters. You have to close Matrox's desk manager before opening Photoshop. Nice programming, huh? No wonder they are a distant third to ATI and NVIDIA. Pop it out the door and fix the bugs when and if they occur.

Rich :frown: :eek: :frown: :eek:

11. LCD refresh varies from vendor to vendor - my Sharp is fixed and and my Samsung 193P+ isnt. Good luck with the driver/software issue, they can be a devil to get resolved and it sounds like you have a lot to deal with.

As a side suggestion - rather than deleting and cleaning files to remove the software can you do a system restore? Its actually one aspect of XP that works as advertised.

good luck
    Doug

12. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

13. Iliah

Iliah

Jan 29, 2005
    nowhere
    Dear Rich,

I use ATI cards for bitmap work, but ATI has its skeletons, too. A year and a half ago they invalidated all calibrations disabling LUTs with their new driver. It took them about 4 months to fix that.

Still, as I use LCD screens not too much, I consider ATI to give the best colour for image editing purposes. I use moderate refresh rates and resolutions. I actually do not like very hi-res CRT screens, as they imitate prints too bad, being way too crisp. I prefer my Artisan displays with LCD as a second screen, where I put menus and non-editing applications.

Refresh stability and uniformity of the image on big CRT screens in hi-res modes is better with Matrox cards, IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2005
  14. I must admit I liked the Matrox card I tried recently, but then I gave a cheap Nvidia card a try (a 6600GT) and it is not only faster, it is more stable, and does multiple monitors better. The card has 128 MB RAM and cost less than $200.

The only caveat was the fan was a bit noisy, so I spent another $25 and replaced the card's cooler with a very quiet one. I don't even recall what brand it was. I use Nvidia's driver installer, not the OEM one.

It even does games well enough, not that I really care about that.

Things do tend to be a little more sorted on the Mac, but not always. We have our problems too. I'll never give up either side. Too much fun to be had.

PS, I will never use an ATI card again. Too many driver problems. One thing would work, but another would crash. Games would work, but DVDs wouldn't play. Etc. Phooey.

15. No luck so far. I can get the Viewsonic by itself to run at 1600x1200. When I install the 19" Sony both monitors decremented to 1280x1024 max. By the way, both are DVI. This the root problem; trying to run DVI over 1600x1200 with 2 LCD monitors.

I'm going to try to run the Sony through the DVI-VGA adapter on the display 2 outlet of the Parhelia.. I really don't care about DVI quality on the 19" Sony because it is only for the menus/windows.

It worked (after 14 hours!). I connected the 21" Viewsonic directly to the A (lower) DVI connection of the Parhelia . I connected the 19" Sony to the B (upper) DVI connection using a VGA cable and a Matrox DVI(M) to VGA(F) converter. I un, then re-installed the Matrox desk manager. This time I designated the monitors as LCD on A and CRT (picture looks like traditional CRT monitor) on B. The next screen the wizard let me select 1600x1200 on A and 1280x1024 on B. Everything works fine now. I will NOT go back no matter who offers to help me get both LCDs operating from DVI at 1600x1200 A and 1280x1024 B. Yes, not even RR!

Now, Illiah, any bets if I can calibrate each monitor separately? Should I care as long as A is fine?

At least I enjoyed this morning. My son, grandson and I went to an outdoor range here in VA and shot the .22, M-1 and 1908 Springfield. AH!!!! I feel so much better now. I should have pasted the Matrox packing box to the target.

On to post processing...O yeah, I'm out of time.
    :tongue:

16. Rich, here's what's going on...

If you installed the INF file, the 1600x1200 setting will be enabled for the Viewsonic. I used to use one of those in several environments, including on my workstation on a Parhelia 128.

The Viewsonic will run in DVI mode and allow all calibration and adjustments, unlike a number of LCDs in it's class, but -- with some monitors if you are running multiple DVI or mixed-inputs you need to have them both on analog unless they will run at the same resolution... otherwise your screen resolution will drop to the highest capable resolution of the lower-resolution monitor. The answer for mixed-resolution situations where you can't get the primary to run at the resolution desired is to hook them both up in analog.

I have an Eizo CG21 right now hooked up via DVI on a Parhelia 128 as the primary running at 1600x1200, and my secondary is an older Samsung 17" hooked up in Analog and running at 1024x1280 (portrait). I seem to remember that I was able to run the Viewsonic like that too, but I've configured so darned many systems that I tend to get confused due to a severe lack of brain cells. I'm not positive that I hooked the Viewsonic up via DVI. I know for a fact that with some combinations you simply cannot get away with that and still run the desired resolutions.

Make sure that you have the .NET Framework running on your system before installing the Matrox driver.

Ron

17. 1. Why? I didn't do that but I got the setup working. What is the .net supposed to do? From what I read about .NET I don't want to get tangled up so thoroughly with Microsoft.

2. Have you had success achieving separate color calibration for each monitor using the Parhelia card? I have created claibration files for each monitor but the system uses either one for both monitors.

Thanks.

Rich

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Rich,

Thanks for asking NOT so stupid ????

Going to hook up two monitors tomorrow.

LCD and CRT. LCD DVI and CRT analog. :<((( Never done this before :>)

Video card is Radeon 9700/9500 series.

Wish me luck, or i'll be in here crying. :>)))

19. I think Illiah might be able to help with this. He mentioned having some success with these cards.

Rich

20. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thank You Rich.