Stupid question about crop size for printing

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by bwilder10h, Mar 30, 2007.

1. In the past, I've always sized each and every shot I want to print in Photoshop. Recently I had a couple photos that I sized first thing after converting from raw and then after I went through the entire post processing on this image, realized the crop wouldn't work for a 5x7 and a 8x10, so I had to start over with the resize thing. Is there a better way around this besides leaving this as the last step? Does each photo have to be sized for each print size? i.e. 4x6, 5x7, 8x10, etc?

Also wondering why straight out of the camera, the photos have to be cropped .5 on the short side to make it fit a standard 4x6 print. Why wouldn't they been good to go out of the camera?

These are questions I should have hit on years ago when I first started this gig.... just never did... and I'm sure there's a better way...:rolleyes:

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I would do all the PP first. Save that tif
    Then go back and crop the sizes you need
    Not all crops will look good for every image

3. sypher

sypher

May 24, 2006
    Cougar Country
    Brian,
    I am glad that you asked this...I have been thinking about this lately, just not when I am on here.
    A question that I would add on to yours is...how to compose for an 8x10, or what ever size needed, so that you can limit cropping, taking of limbs etc...in pp when resizing?

4. It's hard to compose for something like this. Especially given that you just never know what size you may print at later on. I usually try to give a bit of space and not frame it exactly how I want it but picture how I might want it after cropping.

5. GlenF

GlenF Guest

Being new to digital I was miffed, to say the least, at finding the amount of subject loss in my tightly composed scenic portrait when using Capture NX to size the pic to 8x10 for printing. My landscape photos didn't seem to require such a large crop thankfully.

I went to a local photo merchant and plugged into the staff there and I was told that 4x6, 8x12, 10x15, 12x18, and 16x24 were much closer to a full frame format, not exact but close. I didn't ask about sizes larger than 16x24. Take note, I haven't comfirmed any of this yet.

I agree with goofball.

6. Right on, Gale. :smile:
    Good work flow practice means making a master lose less image like a Tiff or PSD, then using a copy of that file for other purposes, print or web.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

BTW, don't pitch the original NEF or jpg either. Save those as originals. You never know when you may want to revisit your post processing and try another approach.

7. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    For an 8x10 in camera leave some room for crop when shooting
    Try an 10x8 or 8x10 on an image and see how much room you would need when shooting.
    You can still crop the other sizes as well.. Subject closeness will change.
    What a pain huh.....lol
    It is really tough when shooting action.
    I have some I have to crop 11x17

Our native size 12x8 etc are hard to find frames for.
    Now if one doesn't mind paying extra to get unusual size frames thats fine to