Stupid question: D40x + Fisheye compatibility

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by Skunkabilly, Jun 20, 2007.

1. I'm a noob and didn't realize this before putting the puppy on second day delivery: is the D40x compatible with the 10.5mm Fisheye?

I thought that it just doesn't work with older AF lenses, but read somewhere here that it's all non AF-S lenses??

2. Now I feel like an herramienta.

I think it's being delivered tomorrow. I'll just have to eat the shipping and send it back. I loaned my D70 to a friend who is out of the country for a few months. I miss my mid-size camera! The D200 is a beast.

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    You should be able to manually focus with it. I imagine it's pretty easy to MF a 10.5, eh?

4. jeffreyk

jeffreyk Guest

Agreed. I don't think MF is an issue with 10.5mm. At f/5.6 (hyperfocal at 0.98m), DOF is 0.5m to infinity:biggrin:

5. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France

Ditto to what both said. I think it's one of the lenses where AF is the least important thing to worry about :smile:

6. A couple of years ago I was doing some macro work with my 70-300 + 6T at the beach. That combo more or less requires setting the camera in manual focus mode. It got too dark, so I gave up and went inside. Later that night I decided to go some shots of the night sky and the dimly lit beach surroundings, and I used the 10.5mm. The next morning when I downloaded them I was surprised to discover that (a) I'd left the camera in MF mode, and (b) the 10.5mm shots came out just fine, even though I *thought* I was in AF mode!

I wouldn't recommend "no-focusing" mode, but MF with this lens is surely not a big deal. Since you've already spent the money to get it shipped in, I'd go try it before sending it back.

7. Once you touch puppy you will never let it go. It is a gorgeous little camera, capable of great shots!
    And (as others already said) you don't need AF for a 10.5mm just focus at 1m, stick a tape on the focusing barrel and you're done.

8. I also have a 35mm f/2. Is the 35 + D40x going to be more trouble than it's worth?

9. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    Probably not - I don't find it that tough to manually focus the 50mm. Set the onscreen display to the longer setting, and a bit of practice....

10. The 35mm f/2 and the D40(x) make a great combo! Nice and small and lightweight. Yes, you have to manually focus but it's not that big of a deal with that lens.... You should get some excellent results with it. If you decide that you absolutely MUST have autofocus in that general focal length range, then go for a Sigma 30mm f/1.4.

11. Hmm, maybe I'll just return the D40x (it arrives today) and get a D80 or hold out for what replaces it while I continue to beat my D200 to death!

12. Well, it all depends on what you're looking to do with the camera. If you were buying the D40x as a second body/accompaniment to your D200, then probably it would be wise to return it and get the D80. You'd get much more flexibility in terms of being able to use your non-AF-S lenses, as well as some other advantages. If you were buying the D40x as a "fun" carry-all-over camera in lieu of a P&S, then keep it and use it, keeping its limitations in mind.

I have the D40 (not the D40x) and use it in lieu of a P&S. I use it with the kit lens, the 55-200mm VR and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 and occasionally might stick another AF-S lens on it, but I don't consider it as a backup body to my other cameras.

13. The very lightweight 18-55 AFS lens is an excellent all-around lens for this small camera. I liked it so much I bought my wife the D40 and then grabbed a d40x for my travels. I've got a number of AF-S and non AF-S lenses. A little manual focusing is not going to bother me with this great little camera.

I've attached a quick shot that I took with the 10.5 and the D40x. Excuse the washed out colors from the Western Mid-day sun.

Regards,

Paul

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007