Stupid Question

I know I should have read the manual more thoroughly before now, but I didn't. So at the risk of ridicule , am going to ask so that I can learn.
I was shooting with the d7000 , was not using AF-ON .
Recently switched to D800, use AF-On and absolutely love it.

I was reading the manual to the 500mm f/4 it states:

"If you set AF start (AF-ON) button to ON on the camera or the focus operation button on the lens, vibration reduction will not operate."

So, on with the stupid question- Must I go back to using the shutter button for focus in order for VR to work? If I set the lens switch to the neutral position, can I use the AF-ON and have VR work?

So, all these weeks with the D800 and the VR has not been working because I have the AF-On set on the camera? Might explain some of the issues I started having with the lens. Talk about feel stupid.

Birdie

I know I should have read the manual more thoroughly before now, but I didn't. So at the risk of ridicule , am going to ask so that I can learn.
I was shooting with the d7000 , was not using AF-ON .
Recently switched to D800, use AF-On and absolutely love it.

I was reading the manual to the 500mm f/4 it states:

"If you set AF start (AF-ON) button to ON on the camera or the focus operation button on the lens, vibration reduction will not operate."

So, on with the stupid question- Must I go back to using the shutter button for focus in order for VR to work? If I set the lens switch to the neutral position, can I use the AF-ON and have VR work?

So, all these weeks with the D800 and the VR has not been working because I have the AF-On set on the camera? Might explain some of the issues I started having with the lens. Talk about feel stupid.

Birdie

The VR will activate when pressing the shutter button even when using focus with AF-On only. For this reason it can still be a good idea to give the shutter button a half press to allow the VR system to stabilize.

However, on the D800 I believe the behavior changed to activate VR with the AF-ON button as well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you very much for the quick reply ! The VR is so quiet it is difficult to discern .

Birdie

Hey Birdie! Your 500 lens manual was written BEFORE the release of the new kids onna block...
D4/D800/D600/D7100. They ALL now activate VR from the AF-ON (AE-L/AF-L) button. your
D7K only activated VR with a shutter 1/2 depress and if you're like me, got used to this
way of doing business...same way with my tried 'n true D3/D700/D2Xs etc. Wish Nikon
would make a switchable option via firmware, this old dog hates learnin' new tricks. :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey , Will thank you ! As you can tell I was really confused, a state that I am very familiar with :)

Birdie

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom