Stupid Windows UI design

Cleaning up my files and I ran into an old problem . . . again.
Right next to the rename option is the delete option.
1588615044918.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Guess what I clicked on. :mad:

MS should put a separator around the delete option to separate it from the other options, to reduce the chance of an accidental delete.

D

Deleted member 4116

Doesn't windows have the option to validate a deletion before actually deleting it? Meaning as you click a file and choose Delete, can't you implement the little modal box asking "are you sure you want to delete?" before it is deleted?

Also, doesn't windows offer delayed single click for renaming? (click, wait, click and it'll change to rename)

Reduce relying on right click and get good with keyboard shortcuts.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Doesn't windows have the option to validate a deletion before actually deleting it? Meaning as you click a file and choose Delete, can't you implement the little modal box asking "are you sure you want to delete?" before it is deleted?

Also, doesn't windows offer delayed single click for renaming? (click, wait, click and it'll change to rename)

YES. Option is selected using pulldown below the Delete button in File Explorer.

YES

YES

#1 - Doesn't windows have the option to validate a deletion before actually deleting it? Meaning as you click a file and choose Delete, can't you implement the little modal box asking "are you sure you want to delete?" before it is deleted?
YES. Option is selected using pulldown below the Delete button in File Explorer.

#2 - Also, doesn't windows offer delayed single click for renaming? (click, wait, click and it'll change to rename)
YES

#3- Reduce relying on right click and get good with keyboard shortcuts.
YES

I can't find how you do #1.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I can't find how you do #1.
Run File Explorer. Click Home on the menu. Now select a file. You will see this:
1588623207707.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Do NOT click on the large red X.
Instead click on the little pulldown arrow just below it.
Now put a tick next to Show recycle confirmation.

D

Deleted member 4116

No, not that. It's been a long time since i've used windows but I could have sworn there was a setting to "confirm before deleting files" option you can select so it prompts you. No drop down menu selection.

While displaying the desktop, find the "Recycle Bin" icon, right click on the icon. A box will appear, click on the "Properties" box, a new box will appear. In that box near the bottom, make sure you have a check mark in the "Display delete confirmation dialog". Windows will then ask you for confirmation BEFORE it deletes the file or folder and sends it to the recycle bin.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
No, not that. It's been a long time since i've used windows but I could have sworn there was a setting to "confirm before deleting files" option you can select so it prompts you. No drop down menu selection.
Yes, it is that! That tick box on that little dropdown is (nowadays) how you select whether or not to put up the confirmation window when you delete files, no matter which method you then use to delete them.
So then if you delete from a right click, or just hitting the Delete key, or by pressing the red X, the confirm window will appear.
Try it.

Dudley correctly says above that the same option can also be set using the properties of the Recycle bin. It's the same switch. That was its traditional location and it is still there as well.

Not totally on point but all this reminded me of a poem I once read. And sure enough from long ago the internet still had it. When you saw this message it was worse than a delete as you knew there was nothing you could do and you were going to loose everything you were working on. So my apologies to this thread as I give you something very similar from the DOS days. before recycle bins, before disk recover, yes even before the cloud. I wish I could claim it as my own but alas, I was not able to find the original author.

Ravin’

• with apologies to Edgar Allan Poe
Once upon a midnight dreary,
Fingers cramped and vision bleary,
System manuals piled high
And wasted paper on the floor,
Longing for the warmth of bedsheets,
Still I sat there, doing spreadsheets:
Having reached the bottom line,
I took a floppy from the drawer.
Typing with a steady hand,
I then invoked the SAVE command
and waited for the disk to store...
Only this and nothing more.
Deep into the monitor peering,
Long I sat there wond’ring, fearing,
Doubting, while the disk kept churning,
Turning yet to churn some more.
“Save!” I said, “You cursed mother!
Save my data from before!”
One thing did the phosphors answer,
Only this and nothing more,
Just, “Abort, Retry, Ignore?”

Was this some occult illusion?
Some maniacal intrusion?
These were choices undesired,
Ones I’d never faced before.
Carefully, I weighed the choices
As the disk made monstrous noises.
The cursor flashed, insistent, waiting,
Baiting me to type some more.
Clearly I must press a key,
Choosing one and nothing more,
From “Abort, Retry, Ignore?”

With my fingers pale and trembling,
Slowly toward the keyboard bending,
Longing for a happy ending,
Hoping all would be restored,
Praying for some guarantee
Timidly I pressed a key.
But on the screen there still persisted,
Words appearing as before.
Ghastly grim they blinked and taunted,
Haunted, as my patience wore,
Saying, “Abort, Retry, Ignore?”

I tried to catch the chips off-guard —
I pressed again, but twice as hard.
I pleaded with the cursed machine:
I begged and cried and then I swore.
Then I tried in desperation,
Sev’ral random combinations,
Still there came the incantation,
Just as senseless as before.
Cursor blinking, mocking, winking,
Flashing nonsense as before,
Reading, “Abort, Retry, Ignore?”

There I sat, distraught, exhausted;
By my own machine accosted.
Getting up I turned away
And paced across the office floor.
And then I saw a dreadful sight:
A lightning bolt cut through the night.
A gasp of horror overtook me,
Shook me to my very core.
The lightning zapped my precious data,
Lost and gone forevermore.
Not even, “Abort, Retry, Ignore?”

To this day I do not know
The place to which lost data goes.
What demonic nether world
Is wrought where data will be stored,
Beyond the reach of mortal souls,
Beyond the ether, in black holes?
But sure as there’s C and Pascal,
Lotus, Ashton-Tate and more,
You’ll one day be left to wander,
Lost on some Plutonian shore,
Pleading, “Abort, Retry, Ignore?”

Last edited:
Real Name
Rodney
I've never had a windows machine that deletes, poof, gone forever. It either puts it in the recycle bin, or, if it is very large, windows will ask something like: "file is too large for recycle bin, delete permanently?"

I've never had a windows machine that deletes, poof, gone forever. It either puts it in the recycle bin, or, if it is very large, windows will ask something like: "file is too large for recycle bin, delete permanently?"

It's not the "poof, gone" that is the issue, the basic problem is the fact that "delete" is right next to "rename."
Yes, I can get it out of the recycle bin, but why even have to do that?
Destructive tasks should be separated to make them less likely to be accidentally clicked on.

The "confirm delete" does help, as it popped up a few times, where I must have not quite positioned the mouse right, as I pressed the mouse button to rename the file.

If you can prevent the problem, you eliminate having to recover from the problem.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
You can choose the "Poof" option. Simply use the pulldown I showed you to select immediate delete and not recycle, then choose to not have confirmation. Windows allows the freedom to have it work any way you choose:
  1. Confirm and recycle
  2. Don't confirm and recycle
  3. Confirm and delete
  4. Don't confirm and delete (=Poof)
Isn't that enough free choice for anyone?

Also, don't forget that if you have it set to recycle you can hold down the Shift key and that will make it delete instead.

Select the file and tap F2. The name becomes editable.
or the delayed double click already mentioned.
I prefer the F2. Fast, easy and never a 'misfire'.

It's not the "poof, gone" that is the issue, the basic problem is the fact that "delete" is right next to "rename."
Yes, I can get it out of the recycle bin, but why even have to do that?
Destructive tasks should be separated to make them less likely to be accidentally clicked on.

The "confirm delete" does help, as it popped up a few times, where I must have not quite positioned the mouse right, as I pressed the mouse button to rename the file.

If you can prevent the problem, you eliminate having to recover from the problem.

Latest threads

Top Bottom