Stupidity knows no bounds!

Now this story is downright scary! :eek: :eek:

LOCKPORT, N.Y. - Police say a western New York tow truck driver was texting on one cell phone while talking on another when he slammed into a car and crashed into a swimming pool.
Niagara County sheriff's deputies say 25-year-old Nicholas Sparks of Burt admitted he was texting and talking when his flatbed truck hit the car Wednesday morning in Lockport, which is outside Buffalo.
The truck then crashed through a fence and sideswiped a house before rolling into an in-ground pool.
Police say the 68-year-old woman driving the car suffered head injuries and was in good condition. Her 8-year-old niece suffered minor injuries.
Sparks was charged with reckless driving, talking on a cell phone and following too closely. It couldn't be determined Thursday whether he has a lawyer.

Using TWO phones at once, one for talking and another for texting WHILE driving?This is just getting wayyyy out of hand now.

I saw a video on youtube where two girls are driving in a vehicle, the driver texting with both hands while the passenger is texting and steering the vehicle with her foot! Makes you stay off the roads if that's what's out there!!

This happened not too far from me me. He had a car on the flatbed of the truck and another in tow. He hit the car waiting to make a left and then drove off the road, through a fence and into a pool! It's really scary when you think of what his job is and what he had attached to that truck that he felt comfortable enough to text and talk while driving

Article

Jeff, I'm glad you weren't on the roads when this happened. I look at my vehicle as a 4,000 lb. weapon hurtling down the road at great speeds, relatively, with me attached. Once you've been in a serious car crash (not my fault), you have great respect for the vehicle and what bodily damage can be sustained in a crash. Thankfully, in October, all this will be illegal in Ontario.

I wonder if the car on the flatbed was also damaged while texting??!!!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

©Stephen Wallace / AP Photos

We just passed a law here in Utah about texting while driving, and it didn't take them long to arrest and convict their first person. Not only was she texting, but she was also driving on a suspended license. I think she ended up with 3 days in jail and a fine.

Great advertisement for that towing company too! ( in the pool picture)

This happened within block of a guy I work with who passed the accident about 20 mins afterward. Sandi, I agree with you, when driving, you are responsible for a ~4000 lb mass, and adding in any distractions is not a good idea. Maybe NY will update the laws as well. I think last year there was an accident near the Finger lakes in which a car of four college age girls drifted over the center line right into a semi truck. It was determined the driver was texting as well.

Talking on your phone is illegal here, as far as I'm concerned the penalties are not stiff enough. If it gets banned there the next thing will be no eating and no drinking, not talking alcohol here, how will you all manage without you coffee's?

Talking on your phone is illegal here...
Talking on your phone (while driving) is supposed to be illegal here as well. Unfortunately, it appears to be the most unenforced law on the books. It seems that virtually everyone ignores the law. I have yet to see, or even hear of, somebody receiving a citation for this.

The other day I saw an guy in a motorized wheelchair, with a dog on a leash, "motoring" (chairing?) down the wrong side of the street in town ( a 'major' arterial) while talking on a cellphone!

Thankfully, in October, all this will be illegal in Ontario.
Unless special effort is put in enforcing that law, nothing is going to change. People know that texting while driving is something they should not be doing, and they still do it. Why? Because they can.

It's like speeding, passing on the right and rolling stop signs: in most cases there's no consequence in doing it. So people continue to do it. :mad:

This fellow should lose his Man Card. Any guy who can only function while doing 3 thrings at once, talking/texting/driving, completely fails the MATMT Test, Male Ability To Multi-Task. :wink::wink::eek:

On a more serious note, here in Washington State The Law is a complete ban on Texting with a Hands-Free-Only law for talking. Unfortunately, these are Secondary Offenses, so you need to be doing something else stupid enough to be ticketed for to be stopped. What I find ironic is the exemption for public safety personnel on duty. This exempts the police, and I see at least 3 or 4 times a week an officer talking on a non-hands-free cell phone while driving. IMHO not a very good example.

Given all the other distractions, the only reason I see cell phone use as worse is that it occupies the hand(s) for a significant period of time. More like putting on make-up vs. taking a bit ot of your hamburger :wink:

Thankfully, in October, all this will be illegal in Ontario.
It's already illegal in Ontario to not be in control of your vehicle. It's called Careless Driving, or Dangerous Driving (and probably a couple other charges), depending on what you did, and the results. Unfortunately, generally the application of these charges depends on something bad having happened already.

The law against talking on a cell phone, etc, is intended to be a preventative measure. However, due to the difficulty of enforcing it (really, how hard is it to lower your cell phone if you see a police car?), after a while, most people will go back to their habits. I expect this will become just be another charge applied after something bad has happened. In other words, all it does is duplicate an existing law (meaning it does nothing). I'm not in favour of adding more laws that do nothing more than duplicate existing laws.

As Bart said, we already have PLENTY of laws, just not enforced. There is also a law of common sense, probably becoming very uncommon. We can get these idiots off the road, but society lacks the will to be TOUGH......:mad:

Enforcing the no texting rule while driving is nearly impossible. What the law does is allow another charge to be rendered when they cause an accident and also to heighten the public awareness of the issue. Certainly those driving a public conveyance should lose their job if caught texting while driving.

There have been frequent threads about stupidity in this forum. One underlying theme I remember is why do governments try to legislate stupidity?

Since the no text-msg law (a secondary violation) came into effect on 1 July in Virginia, I have made an honest attempt to reduce using my Crackberrys. I realize now that I use my work Crackberry much more while I'm driving. Perhaps employers should ban the use of employer issued PEDs (personal electronic devices) while driving? Maybe businesses should be held liable if one of their employees causes an accident while using a cell phone (this includes hands free too) or text messaging?

If firearm companies can be hauled into court because one of their products is used in a commission of a crime, why not employers who not only endorse but encourage employee mobility because it improves productivity? The PED makers should be held liable too.

I speed on highways and that's illegal. I also listen to the Sport Junkies and CSPAN which is a distraction. There are other distractions while driving that I've observed other drivers do like picking noses, changing clothes, reading a book, eating with a utensil, drinking, putting on make-up, brushing hair or using tweezers to pop zits.

It's amazing the things you can do in your car while stuck in traffic!!!

End of rant....

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom