1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Su-800 quick question

Discussion in 'General flash photography, lighting, and technique' started by ilockert, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Here lately ive gotten into the shooting bands on stage and a local place will allow me to set up my flashes where needed piror to the show. Now I usually use my triggers and remote for my off camera stuff mainly automotive and things when I have time to adjust the flashes and go from there, but recently I used my D300 sb800 and sb600 and allowed the CLS to do what it dose and well needless to say I was very happy with what I got, but sometimes the popup flash just didnt fire the other which I know its because i was out of view and well it happens, but will the SU800 help stop that or will the whole if i get out of view the flashes wont fire still happen?

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    The SU-800 may help, but for the most part, it also requires line of sight to the remotes.

3. At least for my uses the su800 indoors has a LITTLE better coverage than the pop up commander. It still has to be in line of site, and the coverage can be spotty- sometimes the sensor on the flash has to be lined up just so. Outside, in bright sun, it was really hit or miss. I am now using radiopoppers- work great. No line of site limitations. Works in the sun. And my wallet is much lighter-- makes it easier to carry!
    You may want to try and borrow a su800, but it may not solve your issues.
    Gary

4. Yup, Nikon did a pretty awesome job adding wireless iTTL capability to some of our camera bodies and speedlights. Pocket Wizards and such are better triggers, but that's all they do, but CLS goes much further byt adjusting the outputs of multiple remotes to get well exposed captures.

The UV commands from the su800 are still line of sight. The popup actually has more range, but it has a tighter dispersal pattern, so the su800 might offer an advantage, but probably not.

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    If you want true remote capability without giving up the convenience and features of CLS, check out Radio Poppers.

6. So does that make the su800 false remote capability? :Curved:

7. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    What I mean by true remote is radio, not IR. There are a lot of situations where IR just isn't that reliable. The radio poppers actually can work with an SU-800 though.

8. In a large open venue what you say has some truth to it Jeff. In a studio or inside a house the SU800 is extremely reliable. If you don't find that to be the case then you must be doing something wrong. I bought one of the first ones produced and use it all the time. It does not let me down.

9. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Yup, SU800 works fine indoor, but pretty unreliable outdoor especially under the sun.

10. I just dont want to loose the whole let the camera adjust or the ability to up the power of one flash or the other one with out running over to the flash and manually adjusting it. I actually think the ability of using flashes and adjust to the ever changing lighting during a concert kind of gives me the one up on some.

11. I find it works reliably in bright sunlight... but only if I remember to orient the remotes' sensor windows so they face the su800.

85540319.gif
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    Depending on the where your remote flashes are located, you might try putting the SU-800 on a flash bracket. I have done that several times, mostly when my flashes are off to one side of the camera. I have a mini ball head on my flash bracket, and with the SU-800 up there, via the coiled TTL cable to the camera, I can change the aim of the SU to better hit my remotes.

13. Like Frank, as long as my remote flash sensor is oriented towards the SU800 it fires every time outdoors whether in bright sun or shade. One thing I have learned with accurate testing is that the range of my unit is 55' and if I exceed that it will not fire. I will be doing another paid family group shot next week and if it were not reliable I would not use it. It never lets me down if I take care in setting up the shot.

14. pointa-b-c

pointa-b-c

Mar 21, 2007
    Los Angeles
    Unfortunately, for my case, it is still about 75% hit rate with everything lined of sight. However, it is still very convenient to set everything remotely with the SU800.

15. I've found that when the SU-800 is directly on the hot shoe and the camera is in portrait orientation, that it's line of site to camera right is partially blocked. Using a large diameter lens like a 17-55 or 24-70 with a hood may contribute to the problem. Using a flash bracket and cord fixed the problem.

16. [​IMG]

Ill be doing things like that, which it will be in a bigger area with more stage. But as far as always being in the dead line of sight Im not sure... cause if I end up and the far left side of stage Im sure ill be out of site a little bit by the flash closest to me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.