Success finally !

For anyone who never saw the beginning of my "droptester" experiments https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=209588 I finally got it right and this is the first of hopefully a series ....

smash014cis.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited by a moderator:
[sinister laugh]Ha ha ha ha ha ha [/sinister laugh] That's great Desmond, I love it. Thank you for sharing that. The question has to be asked though...How many light builds did you have to break to get that?

That was bulb #6 of a pack of 8 I bought [ about 50c each ] .:smile:
I would like to clean up the background a bit but may have to resort to PS for that since my flash power is limited to 1/128th to get the high speed needed to freeze that type of movement . Otherwise I suppose I have to move everything really close to the bulb to catch the light ..... or I could leave the back open and have a black background maybe :confused:.
edit: Unless I connect up a second flash pointed at the background , I suppose that is where a synch cord comes in ?

very neat. a shot like this is on my list but I want to wire it up so the filament is glowing for the shot.

very neat. a shot like this is on my list but I want to wire it up so the filament is glowing for the shot.

That's exactly what I was thinking about yesterday , but I would need a clear bulb . It woud be easier with 24 volt bulbs but they are much smaller , then I would be able to have two switches , one that flicks 12 volts across the bulb contacts as it happens since you need about a 1 second exposure to do it all manually - if it is on for too long you get ghost images .
It was easier with fuses since they created their own flash when they got too many amps going through them :biggrin:

fuseblow010.jpg

Thanks for the compliments , I'm busy trying to convince myself that I will survive if I try one with the air rifle - but I'm not 100% sure it won't go through both planks !

i tried a similar trick a while back based on two sheets of aluminum foil with a small gap between them, didn't work so well for what i was doing, but for bullets, it might be great.

I also enjoy this type of stuff.

I want to take my girlfriend out to the range one day and have her shoot my rifle while I take pictures of the bolt moving and the round ejecting.

I think that would be a lot of fun.

-meaty

I moved the bulb closer to the background but also moved the flash a bit close and got some hotspots . I fitted a cheap wireless trigger on the hotshoe of the trigger and managed to get about an extra inch of hammer travel due to the delay ....

boatsbulbs019is.jpg

boatsbulbs020cis.jpg

boatsbulbs023is.jpg

Very cool, Desmond!

IMHO a black velvet backdrop would help to show off the subject matter, especially with a frosted bulb. I think a black surface would also be better, but you wouldn't want to use velvet for that. Maybe black construction paper?

Very cool, Desmond!

IMHO a black velvet backdrop would help to show off the subject matter, especially with a frosted bulb. I think a black surface would also be better, but you wouldn't want to use velvet for that. Maybe black construction paper?

Thank for the tip , I'll see what I can come up with before destroying any more bulbs .

Very cool, Desmond!

I had some dark blue fleece ......

burst018is.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom