Suffering from acute GAS -- I need help urgently.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
My GAS is making me miserable.

My problem is that I have all the gear I need, and there's nothing else I can think of to buy.

I have a Z6, the 24-70/4, the 35/1.8 and the 50/1.8, and those are really adequate -- no, much more than adequate -- for all my needs. I love my Z6 and don't find any of its supposed inadequacies limiting to my kind of photography.

I also have the 12-30/4, which I occasionally but not very often find use for, and the 24-200/4-6.3, which I use from time to time when I need more reach.

I don't shoot wildlife or BIF because I'm usually out walking with my dog with camera in hand, and I have some physical limitations that don't allow me to stray very far from beaten paths. I don't shoot sports. My photography is narrowly circumscribed -- limited to looking for somewhat interesting subjects for casual snaps on my quotidian peregrinations.

So how am I to cure the excruciating torment of GAS. I am wretched. Please, please help me.

F64

Real Name
Greg
I can't help you avoid GAS, but I can recommend adding to your collection - a micro/macro lens will open up a world of possibilities in your backyard without going far off the beaten path. Also, I'd recommend buying the new Viltrox 85mm f1.8 AF lens for Nikon Z mount. I bought one and it's really great - and priced very reasonably. ($367 US). For a micro lens, I'd recommend a Nikkor 105mm f2.8 VR with AF - sharp and fast - works great on my Z cameras with the FTZ adapter.
Here's an example of a fun close-up.
CecropiaMoth.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It not about the gear! LOL! Take a photography workshop either to learn and improve your skills and for the opportunity to shoot in a different area. This will improve your photography more than new gear....and will help a photography workshop tour leader start to recover from the lack of business for the last year.

Bill, sorry I can not help. I am in the exact situation you are. Really I am, was talking about this with my wife last night.
I am on the list for the new sony a1, will get it on the next batch. Even that is not enough.
I want to buy some glass, and I don’t need anything. I have a full quiver of everything from 20 to 600mm.
I suspect the lack of travel and photo opportunities has me a little “blue”. In the past a new lens has often fired up the juices, but there is not a hole to fill.
Let me know if you find a cure for this, my wallet would appreciate it.
Gary

My GAS is making me miserable.

My problem is that I have all the gear I need, and there's nothing else I can think of to buy.

I have a Z6, the 24-70/4, the 35/1.8 and the 50/1.8, and those are really adequate -- no, much more than adequate -- for all my needs. I love my Z6 and don't find any of its supposed inadequacies limiting to my kind of photography.

I also have the 12-30/4, which I occasionally but not very often find use for, and the 24-200/4-6.3, which I use from time to time when I need more reach.

I don't shoot wildlife or BIF because I'm usually out walking with my dog with camera in hand, and I have some physical limitations that don't allow me to stray very far from beaten paths. I don't shoot sports. My photography is narrowly circumscribed -- limited to looking for somewhat interesting subjects for casual snaps on my quotidian peregrinations.

So how am I to cure the excruciating torment of GAS. I am wretched. Please, please help me.
Z9 is coming . . . .:D:rolleyes::cautious:

Real Name
Andrew
What are you looking at now and why?

answer those questions for yourself. If there is a particular shooting reason, then it might be justified. If it is just to experience the new gear, perhaps renting is a viable option. You get the benefit of using the new stuff without all the guilt of large cash outlay for purchase.

that could stem the tide of GAS.
We all like to experience the joys of something new. So you don’t always have to deny, you can redirect to a healthier option.

I agree with the post above from F/64: a macro/micro lens would be the next step if you've already got plenty of other lenses from wide-angle to moderate tele and don't want or need to get into long lenses for birding and such...... Although right now Nikon doesn't offer a native macro lens, that is on their roadmap and in the meantime the 105mm works with the FTZ, so I'm told. Go for it -- macro photography is a whole new world to explore!

Consider spending some time on Flickr or other photography websites to see what others are finding interesting. I learned so much from looking at work on Flickr. There is such a wide range of things folks find interesting. I had to define what kinds of things I find interesting.

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Thanks for everyone's comments. I wrote my post as a joke, after browsing the B&H site for a while and coming to the realization that, much as I enjoy spending money on new gear and opening boxes as they arrive, there's nothing that I want or need. I really find fulfillment in my own pedestrian -- in both senses of the word -- photography, and there's nothing more that I want.

I do spend time on Flickr, admiring and trying to learn from other photographers' images, as I do here, though I see such perfection here that I sometimes wonder whether I ought to post my own stuff.

Best to all!

SHOOT

The other day, my wife left a small stuffed animal in a pot, and it looked so neat, that I plan to do some stuffed animal shots.
And I can do that without stepping out of the house. Though it might be fun to put the stuffed animals in the yard. :D

As Karen suggested, taking lessons or studying is another option.

Real Name
Mike
I like your compliment of lenses. Have you considered the Z24mm f1.8. It's great for taking on walks and excellent for people as well as landscape.
I have similar with a D750 w/ 24/1.8, 35/1.8, and 180/2.8 and the 24 and 35 get the most use. Like you I shoot mostly while on walks, either in the country or city, and find the 35 is great for people but also fine for landscape, while the 24 is great for landscape as well as people in their environment. I take what ever will fit the situation with a nice compact easy to carry kit.

Bill, I completely understand......I broke down a couple of weeks ago....bought the 8-15 fisheye for my 850. I know, how often can you use a fish! Udvar Hazy is 10 mins from my house and DC with great federal buildings and museums when they open up. At least it was pre-owned.

My excuse is I gave the 10.5 DX fish to my son-in-law who recently bought a D5300 kit since they just had our first grandchild! He already has been gifted filers, cleaning kit and the 35 1.8 DX, so he is getting some of my GAS!

JLH

Don't tell me there is "nothing more you want or need". There is always something more.....just ask me, I can send you a long list of items that you actually want but just don't realize or know it yet. Ask my wife........Or better yet, ask Kim Stone down at Murphy's Photo...she always comes up with something I "really need" every time I walk into that place!

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom