1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Suggestion for P&S

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sbutchin, May 23, 2007.

1. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    My daughter will be in South Africa for a few months and will need a camera. No, she cannot take any of mine. While I would like her to take a nice camera, the realization is that it may likely not come back, not be used at all, be destroyed within the first week. So, I need a suggestion for a P&S with good reach. So far I have looked at the Nikon 5700, but I have never used one. Any help would be appreciated. Oh, I will be in NJ working while daughter is in South Africa on safari, bungy jumping, shooting the rapids - what's wrong with this picture!! And yes, I paid for the ticket!!!

2. I used to own a 5700. It was a great camera. The only issue was low light auto focus. It just didn't happen. Oh, and the RAW took forever so I used JPG.

3. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    thanks, she has no idea what RAW is anyway! and I think low light is an issue with most of the P&S's

4. The low light may be an issue, but the 5700 didn't have a low light af lamp.

5. wbeem

wbeem

Feb 11, 2007
    Sanford, FL
    William Beem
    My suggestion is "Just say no." Failing that, I find my Canon SD800 IS does a very nice job.

6. Fuji F-anything. Get a Pelican waterproof case thingy (they have them at REI) that should fit the camera.

7. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    I used to own 2) Nikon 8700's and replaced them with 2) Nikon 8800's, then sold them and bought 2 more DSLR's. The low light autofocus was just as bad as the 5700, only it was an 8MP camera. Fantastic image quality if the subject stood still. Useless at a zoo unless the animal was taking a siesta. My suggestion is to select a Nikon D40, D50, D70 or D70s (preowned) with your choice of 24-120, 18-200, etc. For point and shoot, set to full automatic. When you are ready for the next step, you already own the equipment.

8. Hi Stephanie,

You might want to add the Olympus 770SW to you list of possibilities. It is very rugged and can work up to 30 feet underwater without a case and withstand 5 footdrops on the floor.

I got one for a trip to Baja California and wrote up a pre-trip review here:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=107802

It did not work as well underwater in Baja while snorkleing because the water was murky. Great to use above water when viewing Gray Whales blowing whale snot on you by the zodiac:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=110605

Or shooting with one hand while petting the whale with the other:
    142470565-L.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Bob

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  9. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    thanks guys, i really didn't want to go into any more debt than I already am for this trip, but looks like i might have to go with a d40,50,70 or something and a cheap lens. Again, I may never see it again!

10. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    Hi Bob, that looks pretty good! I will look into that, and the review was really helpful - thanks!!!

11. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Sorry if this is seen as threadjacking, but why do you say that you'll probably not be seeing the camera again Stephanie ? If your daughter needs a camera maybe she can understand that it's not a toy and she should take care of it regardless of it being a P&S or a DSLR. :confused: 

12. Second that.
    I have seen amazing ISO 800 pics from the F31fd.

Since my wife's CP 5700 is about to die, I guess I will get one - which I will borrow at times when I am too lazy to lug around my big equipment.

Cheers

13. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    Harry and Julien, After living with the child for 24 years I accept the realizations in my life that she is not good with keys, wallets, drivers license, credit cards, cameras, or small objects!! I cannot begin to tell you how many of these things have been replaced several times. In just one year, she replaced her drivers license 4 times and her birth certificate 3x!! Forget about keys, that's a given, once a month item. Thank goodnes she is gorgeous and smart, but not at all good about taking care of the little things (or just putting them in the same place each time!) Yet, she can write a mean business plan and took 2nd place in the Syracue University competition for developing and implementing a new business. Go figure!! But, I look at the worse case scenario when sending a camera into battle (aka living with my daughter) So while it may sound good in theory, I know in the real world there is a great possibility it won't make the trip back. And since I am paying for it and it may be lost or never used, I don't want to go crazy on price, especially that I could use that money on a nice new lens for me, who would appreciate it and not lose it!

14. Well, in this case a small P&S seems not so good. Maybe you should buy her something really big and bulky - a Linhof maybe? :biggrin:

15. D40 or D40x with the kit lens (18-55mm) and the new 55-200mm VR and she's set to go. Lightweight, larger than a P&S so not as likely to get lost or fall out of a pocket, yet not as bulky or as expensive as one of the other Nikon DSLR bodies and lenses. Image quality would be excellent, better than she could get with a P&S and the responsiveness of a DSLR vs a P&S can't be beat.

16. I personally prefer the Sony point and shoots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.