Suggestion for softbox with SB600

Discussion in 'Studio Equipment and Lighting' started by Mitchell, Sep 6, 2005.

1. I would like to use my SB600 in a softbox with the SB800 as an on camera master. Can anyone suggest a softbox, speedring, lightstand combo that is reasonably priced and decent quality?

I'm just an amateur who would like to take some better portraits of my kids.

Thanks.

mitch

2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Twig turned me on to the Photek Softlighter II. So far, I've been very pleased with it. It is actually an umbrella with a diffusor (shoot into the umbrella and bounce through the diffusor).

3. twig

twig

May 23, 2005
    Gald you liked it enough to reccommend to others!

the softlighter is still my choice as well.

there is no speedring required and the whole package is $60 and VERY portable too for location shoots and quick set-up. The fact that the flash is bounced off the inside of the umbrella before going through the diffudion material creates a very even soft light even when you have it right on top of your subject.

Morris makes a $45 softbox that includes a speed ring . IT is a small box, 15X18 or so, but the included speedring can then be used with larger and more expensive soft boxes if you wish.

You will need a umbrella holder with a flash clamp for the top of your light stand ($15) for the softlighter, that is all.