Suggestion for TC for Sigma 70-200mm 2.8

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by taat2d, Jul 8, 2008.

1. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Ok I might be looking to get a TC. What would you recommend? This will be used with my Sigma 7-200mm 2.8. The lens is being used for my sons soccer games and practices.
    Thanx

2. I bought the 2x for my kids soccer. I was dissapointed with the results. I took it off now and just wait for the action to get closer to me. I would gladly sell the Sigma 2x tele since I don't use it. I tried a 1.4 and it was much better.

3. Hey Joe
    Have only found out recently that you must use a Sigma TC for this lens... other brands don't play nice and/ or you would have to manual focus.
    Also, there are different Sigma TC's so you must match the type with type.
    Cheers
    Rob

4. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC

So I need one specifically made by Sigma for the 70-200?

5. Cope

Cope

Apr 5, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I bought the EX DG 1.4 with mine. I was thinking about the 2.0 also, but was warned that I would not be satisfied with it.

6. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    How much more range do you get with the 1.4? When you use the 1.4 does it drop the lens down to an F/3.5 or F/4?? How much did you pay for it? I can't find them in B&H's website.

7. Joe, you can safely use the Sigma 1.4x but stay away from the 2x. I have seen absolutely no drop off in image quality with the 1.4x but the 2x images are barely useable.

As far as the range with the 1.4x the focal range will become 98-280mm at f/4.

I have the 1.4x APO EX DG and I paid $189 for it.

Here is the link to it on B&H's site:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/390165-USA/Sigma_824306_1_4x_DG_EX_APO.html

If you want to see some images from the 70-200 with the 1.4x, look at the fox pics and some of the bird pics were also done with that combo.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffadukinas/sets/72157603999030714/

8. taat2d

taat2d

Sep 28, 2007
    NYC
    Very impressive Jeff!! Are those shots hand held?

9. Yes they were. The light was very good so I was able to have a fast enough shutter speed without having to boost up the ISO to allow me the shots hand held. Plus, I wouldn't have had time to set up my tripod for the fox pictures. He was on a mission and kept moving most of the time. Fortunately he stayed along the road for a good distance so I had time to get up in front of him and he didn't seem to concerned about my presence.