Suggestions are welcome....

Discussion in 'Retouching and Post Processing' started by Markb, Sep 2, 2008.

1. So baseball finished on Sunday, and our team won the silver medal in the OBA Provincial Championships. Among the shots I took was a team picture (of course). This was a bit of a 'Cinderella' finish to the season, as we were not expected to last the first round of the Championship series, so I thought a different treatment would be in order. (Plus the fact that the light is very hard, and contrasty). So I'd like your comments on the treatment and any suggestions if you'd like, for a better, more memorable handling.

First, the original colour image:

And one using the Vintage Tint Action from Action Central:

Feel free to modify if you wish.

Thank you.

2. rbellphoto

rbellphoto

Jun 8, 2006
    SoCal
    Here's my take...

1) Using Magic Wand, I selected the shadowy sides of their faces and copied to a new layer.

2) Used Shadow/Highlights at ~50% to restore facial features. Normal blend at 75%.

3) Created vignette.

4) B&W conversion using Gradient Map Adj. Layer.

5) Hue/Saturation layer. Colorize, with values 27, 10, 0.

original.

3. EssieK

EssieK Guest

That is a very good take, I must admit :smile: I like it!

4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    Those are great!

my take on it, not that i can do it would be two ideas,

The first would be to keep the vintage look but make the players black and white

The second would be to keep the black and white but try to take a bit of the shine off the medals and then make them color.

5. Here is my go done in Lightroom with the very easy "aged" preset slightly modified:
    2824994976_b8586397e4_o.

Nice group photo!!:biggrin:

6. Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm pleased (tickled a bit) that folks seem to agree that the vintage style look is the right direction.

The ideas are good, and I'm going to do some work to try them out. For example, I think the B+W conversions are better than what I did. I'll also work on the medals as well.

Keep em coming.

7. Wileec

Wileec Guest

Without knowing colors . . .

. . . of the uniforms and the RAW file, it's hard to show.

But I would have made sure the red was as strong as reasonable, then taken the yellow out of the green, so that is was closer to the opposite of the red, then desaturated the green a bit - it would make the team be where all the pop and contrast is and allow for decent skin tones, too.

I tried doing this a bit running the JPEG through ACR, but working with a JPEG and not knowing what kind of red the actual uniforms are makes it tough to dial in. Something like this:

Edited.

Note - the image you posted seems to be in the ProPhoto color space, which, in Firefox, on a Mac, isn't displaying even close to accurate in the thread. When I opened it in PS, preserving the profile, I saw a completely different image than what shows in the thread. I would suggest before posting an image on the web to do a conversion to sRGB, so that it can be displayed as accurately as possible by browsers.

The image below is a screen shot. The left half is your image in the thread, the right half is within Photoshop, no changes at all:

comparison.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 6, 2008
  8. My bad, I did forget to change it to sRGB.

9. here is my attempt
    i like the shot
    the lighting was nearly impossible to get this one "RIGHT."
    strong sun and THE COLOR of the SHIRTS.... a "cast" that is almost impossible to escape

i desaturated the image
    then... i brought up the middle slider in LEVELS to brighted the whole picture
    then.... played with the color balance
    more blue
    a bit more green and yellow
    and then INcreased the saturation 3%
    to get this:

366676922_bxcYa-O.

10. cloning OUT that object just to the picture's right of that coach in the back row would also be helpful

11. Wileec

Wileec Guest

For a vintage look . . .

If you and the team are wanting more of a vintage look, I tend to approach that with two tools that allow me lots of room to play. This approach can work well for creating good B/W also.

Once I have my RGB image dialed in, I flatten it, if it isn't, then add two adjustment layers - first a selective color, and above that a hue/sat. The hue/sat allows you to control the overall saturation (fully desaturated is no color, or B/W) and have a bit of control over value in the individual color areas making up the image. The sel col layer allows one to make tweaks to specific colors, so if you need to lean them one way or the other, or lighten them to get the desired value in the final image. CS3 added some new options for creating B/W images, but I tend to be a control freak and this approach usually gives me the control I need to get the results I'm after.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.